The Charleston County School District (CCSD) Board of Trustees approved the 2021-2022 Academic Calendar during their meeting on Monday evening.
The calendar can be viewed here. The following are highlights of the 2021-2022 calendar:
- Start date is August 18, 2021
- End date is June 2, 2022
- Fall Break will be November 24-26, 2021
- Winter Break will be December 20, 2021, through December 31, 2021 (district teachers and staff would report to work on January 3, 2022; students return January 4, 2022)
- First semester ends January 14, 2022
- Spring Break will be April 11-15, 2022
- State-required Weather Make-up Days are November 22-23, 2021, and June 3, 2022. If the Weather Make-up Days are not used, they will turn into days off for students and teachers.
State law requires academic calendars must include the following:
- Cover at least nine calendar months
- Not start before the third Monday in August (unless a state exemption is created and approved for a specific year)
- Use 180 days for instruction
- Have up to two additional eLearning Days
- Use three days for professional development for teachers
- Use the remaining seven days for teacher planning, academic plans, and parent conferences
In addition, districts must have three weather make-up days built into their academic calendars. If there is severe weather and the district is forced to close school, the district is required to use these built-in make-up days first (for instructional days). This is not an option, even if the governor calls for a mandatory evacuation due to an impending storm.
If inclement weather causes a district to cancel school for more than three instructional days (and the district has been forced to use all of its built-in make-up days), the Board of Trustees can then vote to forgive up to three additional days. If more than six days are lost to inclement weather, the state can forgive an additional five days.
Additional local guidelines include a Family-Student Data Conference Day near the end of the first quarter (required by the Board of Trustees) and an extended weekend at the end of the first semester allowing high schools to complete the semester and prepare schedules for the second semester.
Life Raft Treats Partnering with Local Businesses for Sundae Social on October 2nd
Life Raft Treats, the local ice cream and sweets business from Cynthia Wong, is partnering with some other Charleston area...