The City of Charleston’s Mayor’s Office for Children, Youth, and Families are working to build resources for more financial literacy. Part of this project is promoting VITA sites, where people who make $60,000 or less (or if you are married $95,000 or less), elderly or disabled, can get help filing their taxes.
Trained volunteers assist in making sure their taxes are filed correctly and the person receives as much of a return as they can. VITA sites are operated by local organizations like the Trident Urban League and Trident United Way. This year, these organizations are moving to more virtual or appointment-only set up because of COVID. Taxes can be filed starting on Feb 12th and the last day to file is April 15th.
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Sites and Information
VITA programs offers free basic tax preparation for those who qualify. VITA sites have qualified and trained volunteers that can help you through the tax filing process to make sure that your taxes are done correctly. VITA volunteers will work to get your full refund back. They are also required to keep your information confidentialso you can feel safe using a VITA site. As a reminder, you must file your taxes before April 15th.
Individuals Who Qualify for VITA Assistance:
- General income of $60,000 or less ($95,000 or less if you are filing jointly with a married status) • Elderly
- Persons with disabilities
- Persons not fluent in English
Information & Forms You Might Need to Bring: Be sure to ask the VITA provider what you need to bring when setting up your appointment.
- Photo ID
- Social Security Information (if applicable, bring Social Security Information for spouse and dependents) • Proof of Foreign Status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates (including for spouse and dependents)
- Any W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099- Misc. or 1098 forms
- Interest and dividend statement from banks
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- Copy of last years Federal and State Tax returns, if available
- Routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the provider’s tax identification
- Forms 1095-A, B, and C Health Coverage Statements
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, some usualVITA sitesmight be closed, require an appointment, or are online. Please contact a VITA partner for their protocol.
- Charleston Trident Urban League: https://www.ctul.org/copy-of-center-for-change-leadershio Call to make an appointment: 843-769- 8173
- Increasing H.O.P.E.: www.increasinghope.org
o Call to make an appointment: 843-225-4343
- SC Thrive: https://scthrive.org/for-you/filetaxes/
o Call or email to make an appointment: 800-726-877 or Rmoses@scthrive.org
- Trident United Way: https://www.tuw.org/freetaxes
o Limited amount of in person appointments available.
Gaillard Center Announces Second Theo Von Show
Comedian and podcast host Theo Von has added a second show at the Gaillard Center on Saturday, October 23, 2021...
Gaillard Center Announces “Million Dollar Quartet”
Heather McMahan to Perform at the Gaillard Center
Gaillard Center Announces L.O.L. Surprise! Live
Mitchell Hill Celebrates Photography By Tyler Hill with the Opening of “More Together Than Alone”
Charleston Beer Week Set to Return in October
“Whose Line Is It Anyway?” Stars to Perform at the Music Hall
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized1 year ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Events7 hours ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Weekend Preview6 hours ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- Food1 week ago
Smoky Oak Taproom Closing After 13 Years on James Island
- Resources8 years ago
- Site Updates3 years ago
HCS Patreon Supporters
- Uncategorized3 weeks ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players