Charleston County Public Library (CCPL) want more community input! CCPL hosted a Community Forum on Sept. 17th to collect input and opinions from community members about potential programs/events and makerspace equipment for the new St. Paul’s Hollywood Library. If community members were unable to make it to the event, there is still time to provide input. Residents may visit the current St. Paul/Hollywood Library and fill out a form in person or fill out our online survey until Oct. 2.
The information collected during this forum will be used to develop a program guide for the branch as well as guide the purchase of creative studio tools. The new library is expected to open in the Spring of 2020.
“Libraries are a place for the community, by the community,” said CCPL Executive Director Angela Craig. “Forums like these provide invaluable input and let the community be a part of shaping and molding the programs they would like to experience inside their library.”
This new library is one of several in development after the passing of a 2014 $108.5 million referendum calling for new facilities and the renovation and update of the existing branches. The referendum was approved by 74% of Charleston County voters.
What is a program?
A library program focuses on providing attendees a valuable and engaging experience that meet one or more of the following goals:
- Provides opportunities for continuing education and lifelong learning
- Foster literacy, workforce development, educational success and community engagement
- Serve our community’s diversity through engaging entertainment, enrichment and opportunities to encounter new ideas and learn new skills
- Offers a dynamic exchange of information
- Facilitates wide-ranging discussions and supports civic dialogue
- Fosters community networks and introduces residents
- Allows exploration of ideas in a safe environment
- Enhances the library’s role as a community resource
- Introduces patrons and non-users to library resources, services or programs
- Builds stronger communities
- Expands the visibility of the library
What is a creative studio?
A creative studio, also referred to as a makerspace, is an area in which people can gather to work on Do-It-Yourself (DIY) projects while sharing ideas, equipment, and knowledge. It also serves as an instructional space for these projects and use of equipment. These spaces will feature a variety of tools, based on the community’s interests or needs. For example, a makerspace may include crafting materials, sewing machines, or technology like 3D printers. Each makerspace is unique to the community it serves.
First Black Food Truck Festival to Be Held at Patriots Point Next Month
On both Saturday, November 13th and Sunday, November 14th, the first Black Food Truck Festival will be held at Patriots...
Motherland Essentials Hosts Halloween Lane at Summerville Warehouse
Tickets Now on Sale for the 38th Annual Lowcountry Oyster Festival
Trey Kennedy to Perform at the Charleston Gaillard Center in January
College of Charleston Concert Choir to Present “Songs for Thanksgiving” Performance
Holy Smokes Lowcountry Barbecue Festival Announces VIP Chefs
New Muse Concerts to Present “Blueprint” at Multiple Charleston Venues
- Uncategorized9 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized2 years ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Appreciating Whisky Online Singapore Drinks
- Uncategorized4 months ago
How to Plan Your Home Budget
- Events4 days ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players
- Weekend Preview4 days ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- News3 weeks ago
Marvel Star in Charleston to Scout Location for New Movie