This upcoming season, the Charleston Symphony Orchestra (CSO) will join the city and community in commemorating the 350th anniversary of Charleston’s founding. CSO Executive Director Michael Smith expressed his excitement for the season, saying, ”Be it through the powerful words of Abraham Lincoln set to music by Aaron Copland, the joyous rekindling of Gullah tradition by Ranky Tanky, or a brand new interpretation of Charleston’s history by composer Edward Hart, this season’s programming is intended to help you contemplate what growth and progress—as an individual as well as a community—mean to you.” The CSO season finale, “Charleston And The New World,” will be the official kick off the City of Charleston’s 350th Anniversary Celebration.
Highlights of this season’s Masterworks programming include “Mozart In the Lowcountry” which will pair Mozart’s Symphony No. 39 with Charleston composer Edward Hart’s Under an Indigo Sky; along with “Pictures At An Exhibition,” a collaboration with Charleston watercolorist Mary Whyte for the premiere of her new collection, We The People; and “Conrad Tao Plays Brahms,” featuring the return of pianist and composer, Conrad Tao, a highly sought-after former child prodigy.
Pops performances include for the first time ever, an additional performance of one of Charleston’s all-time favorite traditions, “Holiday Pops”; “Music of the Movies,” a collection of the best music ever to play on the big screen; “From Russians with Love,” an evening of Russian symphonic and popular music; and Charleston’s own Ranky Tanky joining forces with the CSO to play their unique Jazz-Gullah-R&B fusion with an orchestral backdrop.
Special events include the annual Holy City Messiah performances to take place at three churches across the Lowcountry; CSO Holiday Brass concerts; and Magnetic South, an innovative partnership between the CSO and the College of Charleston Department of Music.
To purchase tickets for any of the CSO’s concerts, visit CharlestonSymphony.org, call the CSO box office at 843-723-7528 ext. 110, or visit in person at 2133 N. Hillside Drive, Charleston, SC 29407 between 9:00am and 5:00pm Monday through Thursday and 9:00am and 12:00pm on Friday.
Charleston Symphony’s 2019-20 Season Performance Schedule:
- Masterworks Season Premiere – Mozart In The Lowcountry: September 27 and 28, 2019
- Pops Season Premiere – Music of the Movies:October 12, 2019
- Masterworks – Pictures At An Exhibition:October 25 and 26, 2019
- Chamber – We’ll Always Have Paris: November 15 and 16, 2019
- Masterworks – Rach 2: November 22 and 23, 2019
- Chamber – Holiday Strings: December 6 and 7, 2019
- Special – Holy City Messiah: December 12, 14, 15, 2019
- Pops – Holiday Pops: December 20 and 21, 2019
- Masterworks – Bach’s Brandenburg: January 10 and 11, 2020
- Pops – From Russians With Love: January 23, 2020
- Masterworks – Conrad Tao Plays Brahms: February 7 and 8, 2020
- Special – Magnetic South: February 20, 2020
- Masterworks – Scheherazade: February 28 and 29, 2020
- Pops – Ranky Tanky With The CSO: March 12, 2020
- Masterworks – Mendelssohn’s Scottish Symphony: March 27 and 28, 2020
- Chamber – All Roads Lead to Vienna: April 4 and 5, 2020
- Masterworks – Charleston And The New World: April 17 and 18, 2020
Berkeley County Library System to host Tiny Art Show for Teens
Berkeley County Library System (BCLS) is hosting a Tiny Art Show for Teens (Ages 12-18) during July. Customers may pick...