Cool fun awaits kids (and adults) of all ages at the Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission’s (CCPRC) three area waterparks – Splash Island, Splash Zone and Whirlin’ Waters Adventure Waterpark! Whirlin’ Waters and Splash Island are open for weekends-only operations in May. Daily operations begin for Whirlin’ Waters on May 28th, while Splash Island and Splash Zone will begin daily operations starting June 2nd.
Here are details on each park:
- Whirlin’ Waters Adventure Waterpark is located at North Charleston Wannamaker County Park. The largest waterpark in the Charleston area, Whirlin’ Waters features unique activities for all ages. Children enjoy the Otter Bay pool area and The Big Splash Tree House featuring slides, sprays, interactive play elements and a giant bucket that dumps 1,000 gallons of water. Lily Pad Lagoon, a toddler play area, provides hours of fun with a shallow pool and spray geysers. Adults can unwind while drifting down the 870-foot-long Rollin’ River. The 27,000-square-foot Big Kahuna wave pool is a family favorite. For thrill seekers, Tubular Twister guarantees a rush of excitement. And the park’s Rip Tide Run mat racer slide takes riders on an exciting head-to-head competition down the four-story slide toward the finish line.
- Splash Island waterpark at Mount Pleasant Palmetto Islands County Park is tucked deep within tropical vegetation and provides hours of fun and recreation for toddlers to pre-teenage children. Enjoy a 200-foot-long body flume, activity pool, a 16-foot otter slide, a swirling water ride, and sprays, geysers, waterfalls and more.
- Splash Zone waterpark, located in James Island County Park, is a popular waterpark that features island-style play structures and two 200-foot-long slides. Families can relax in the large leisure pool or float endlessly on the lazy river. Splash Zone’s new attraction for 2018 will be a rainforest-themed family play complex that features buckets dumping water, slides and various sprays and misting elements. The new attraction will not yet be open on June 2, but will open soon this summer. Visit CharlestonCountyParks.com for details.
The waterparks also offer a full range of amenities including concessions, lockers for securing items, lounge chairs, showers and restrooms. Each waterpark is staffed with trained lifeguards to provide a safe experience. In an effort to support CCPRC’s stewardship initiatives, the waterparks offer composting bins and recycling bins at main concession stands.
Park admission fees vary. Area residents can take full advantage of the summer with the seasonal Basic Splash Pass, which allows unlimited admission into Splash Zone and Splash Island, or the Super Splash Pass, which also allows admission into Whirlin’ Waters. For rates and to purchase passes, visit CharlestonCountyParks.com.
Waterparks are open from 10 am to 6 pm, and 2018 operating dates are:
- May 5th: Whirlin’ Waters and Splash Island open weekends only
- May 28th: Whirlin’ Waters opens daily
- June 2nd: Splash Island and Splash Zone open daily
- August 20th: Waterparks open weekends only through Labor Day
All three waterparks are also available for event rentals. Additionally, people with special needs and their caregivers are invited to exclusive nights at the waterparks this summer. Special Needs Swim Night will be held after hours on June 23rd and July 14th at Whirlin’ Waters, and July 28th at Splash Zone.
For more information on the waterparks or to purchase waterpark passes, visit CharlestonCountyParks.com, download the Charleston County Parks mobile app, or call 843-795-4386.
Cooper River Bridge Run Kids Run & Family Festival Rescheduled Due to Impending Weather
The Cooper River Bridge Run has postponed the Kids Run & Family Festival originally scheduled for this Sunday, October 2nd...