The Lowcountry Chapter of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has announced the start of their 2017 Man & Woman of the Year campaign. There are fourteen candidates who think they have what it takes to win and bring us one step closer to a world without blood cancers.
This year, a record number of candidates have signed on participate – thirteen men and women and for the first time ever, a Student of the Year Candidate.
The candidates have set a goal of raising $500,000 during their ten-week campaign and have a mission of not only raising funds for lifesaving blood cancer research, but also raising awareness for LLS’s mission: to cure leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma, and to improve the quality of life for patients and their families. This year’s fundraising is in honor of two patient heroes, the 2017 Boy and Girl of the Year: Ryan Durant, age 13, of Goose Creek and Kalaila Martin, age 7, of Mt Pleasant, both of whom were diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia just days apart in the summer of 2015.
The campaign will end with the Champions of Hope Grand Finale at the Charleston Gaillard Center on May 5th. The Man & Woman of the Year will be announced at the event, a black tie affair with a seated dinner, auction, and live entertainment.
The 2017 candidates are:
- Amy McCarragher
- Anthony Kinzie
- Chad Frampton, Frampton Construction Company
- Chuck Beischel, Eye Center of Charleston
- Daniel Gowdown, Charleston Rental Properties
- Jennifer Jaroscak, Medical University of South Carolina
- Jessica Lanham, White Oak Rehabilitation
- Joe Good, III, Good Law Group, LLC
- Karen White, Poston & Co.
- Nicole Snyder, Willow Salon Charleston
- Nikki Wood, Templeton Silver
- Thomas B Davis, Kiawah Island Real Estate
- Sonny O, Dr Sonny O Plastic Surgery
- Jenna Jacob, Stratford High School *Student of the Year Candidate
For more information visit www.mwoy.org/sc
UPDATE: 3rd Annual Recovery Jam Postponed to December 3rd
UPDATE on 9/29/22 – Due to threats from Hurricane Ian, this event has been postponed to December 3rd. See the...