During the upcoming Charleston Restaurant Week, Básico will offer seven variations of mole, a type of sauce in Mexican cuisine.
Chef Bryan Cates has been working on his moles for the last few weeks and has created a handful of dishes including a red mole using benne seeds, an ingredient native to the Lowcountry, and a mushroom tamale with black mole sauce. You can see the entire menu below:
- Mole Roja and Huevos soft egg, charred onion, red mole, potato
- Pork Pozole hominy, boudin, yellow mole broth
- Mushroom Tamale black mole, wild mushrooms, crème fraiche, romesco
- Pato Verde duck, green mole, pearl onions, parsnip
- Lingua benne mole, radish, tortilla, sweet potato
- Paella Carolina Gold Rice, Mole Chicken, Chorizo, Rabbit, Shrimp, Octopus, Sofrito, Fall Vegetables
- Mole Amarillo yellow mole ice cream, plantain, buttermilk
- Galletas y Leche tonka bean milk, chocolate chip cookie
Restaurant Week begins on January 7 and runs through January 18. During the event, Básico will offer a three-course menu for $20. The restaurant is located at 4399 McCarthy St. in North Charleston. For more information visit their website.
UPDATE: This Event Has Been Canceled
UPDATE: This event has been canceled. Press Release Berkeley County Library System (BCLS), in collaboration with the South Carolina Bar,...