H.L. Hunley’s 150th Anniversary Schedule
Monday, February 17th will be the 150th Anniversary of the H.L. Hunley submarine’s historic, yet fateful attack against the Union’s U.S.S. Housatonic. The Hunley was the first combat sub to sink an enemy warship, but it also mysteriously sunk soon after the attack, killing the entire eight-man crew.
The wreckage was recovered on August 8th, 2000 and has been housed at the Warren Lasch Conservation Center (1250 Supply Street, North Charleston) ever since.
A group of events will be held over the coming weeks to celebrate the submarine’s historic day. Take a look at the schedule below:
Friday, February 14th
- Military Appreciation Day (10 am – 5 pm)
- Active and retired military receive 50% discount on admission
Saturday, Feb. 15th & Sunday Feb. 16th
- Golden Celebration Days
- Saturday tour hours: 10 am – 5 pm
- Sunday tour hours 12 pm – 5 pm
- On each day, the first 150 guests will receive free replicas of the Hunley captain’s life-saving gold coin
Saturday, February 15th
- Evening Reception and Presentation: The Men Behind the Machine (6 pm – 8:30 pm)
- Tickets: $50
- Cocktail hour with light hors d’oeuvres and bar including private viewing of the submarine hosted by experts conducting the preservation work followed by a presentation by Forensic genealogist Linda Abrams.
Monday, Feb. 17th
- Sesquicentennial Day (10 am – 5 pm)
- All tickets $1.50 (ticket price is normally $12)
- Living history presentation and memorial service at Breach Inlet, where the submarine and crew left land for the last time.
You can get more information here.
Outdoor Immersive Witchcraft & Wizardry Experience Coming to Charleston
CluedUpp, an immersive outdoor events company, will host their latest adventure – “Witchcraft & Wizardry: Murder by Magic” – in...