Charleston County Breaks Ground on Azalea Complex
On Tuesday, May 16th, Charleston County leadership broke ground on phase two of the Azalea Complex. In March of 2022, Charleston County Council approved the purchase of about 3.8 acres on Headquarters Road to build this facility.
“As our community continues to grow, Charleston County Government also has to grow so we can meet the needs of our residents,” said Charleston County Council Chairman Herb Sass. “Our public works, facilities staff, and equipment are currently spread out in several locations, and the new Azalea Complex will be more accessible and convenient for our staff, especially in emergencies.”
Charleston County provided the following details on the Azalea Complex:
- Approximately 23,000 square foot administrative building for Public Works and Facility Management staff.
- 27 private offices, 92 cubical workstations, two public conference rooms, fitness facility, designed to pursue Green Globes Building Certification.
- Approximately 29,000 square foot facility for Facility Management Operation and Asset Management.
- Facility Management shops, warehouses for public works, and facilities management, garage for the Unified Mobile Command Unit, campus loading dock, mobile generator connection to maintain operations during extended power outages.
- Approximately 37,000 square foot facility for Public Works Operations Building.
- Public Works survey office, sign shop, asphalt, soil and stormwater laboratories, mosquito control offices, laboratories, and field operations, mobile generator connection to maintain operations during extended power outages.
Construction is scheduled to begin this summer and wrap up in the spring of 2026. The design and construction budget for phase II of the project is 57 million dollars.
Charleston Weekend Events
There’s ALWAYS something to do in Charleston – especially on the weekend. If you need help finding plans, just consult...