The pier closed to the public for a complete rebuilding project in October of 2020 and was expected to take about 28 months. However, the new pier was finished ahead of schedule and will open tomorrow.
“We are thrilled to be opening the new Folly Beach Pier just in time for the holidays,” said Kevin Bowie, executive director of the Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission. “The Folly Beach Pier is a Lowcountry icon and we look forward to welcoming our community and visitors for generations to come.”
CCPRC Provied the Following Highlights of the New Folly Beach Pier
- Concrete pilings and substructure, with wooden walkway and railings
- 1,049 feet in length
- Most of the pier is 25 feet wide
- Two locations of the pier were slightly widened and covered, at 33 feet wide, allowing additional space for fishing
- 22 feet above sea level
- Diamond Head platform at the end of the pier is 7,500 square feet in size
- 228 concrete pilings
- Shade structures and benches
- Wooden walkway panels designed to break away in the event of a large storm
- Unobstructed ocean views, more efficient pedestrian access and modern improvements
- Longer lifespan than wooden piers (expected to be 65+ years)
Pier operating hours are currently 8 am to sunset (operating hours vary throughout the year). Amenities at the Folly Beach Pier include restrooms, the Pier 101 Restaurant and Bar, beach access, showers, and the Gangplank Gift & Tackle Shop.
The pier’s special events are scheduled to return in 2023, including the popular fishing tournaments and Moonlight Mixer dance series. In addition, the Charleston County Parks Foundation will host a special fundraising event called Folly Pier Fest on March 11th.
The Folly Beach Pier’s parking lot will undergo renovations for a brief period in January 2023. During this time, the parking lot along with the pier, restrooms, gift shop, beach access, and Pier 101 restaurant will be closed.
For additional information, visit www.ccprc.com/follypier.
Nappy Roots to Headline Charleston Wine + Food’s “Hip Hops: The ReMix” Event
On Friday, March 3rd, the Southern Hip Hop icons and Grammy nominees, Nappy Roots, will headline Charleston Wine + Food’s...