Charleston County Council has declared a state of emergency as leaders prepare for impacts from Hurricane Ian. Charleston County has moved operations to OPCON 1 meaning a disaster or emergency is imminent. Buses will continue to transport people to shelters until 6 p.m. or until sustained winds reach 30 mph. Shelters will remain open on Friday, but buses will no longer operate. “There is the potential for major flooding tomorrow,” said Charleston County Emergency Management Director Joe Coates. “If you live on a barrier island or a low-lying area that historically floods, and you haven’t moved to higher ground, I recommend you relocate now.”
Charleston County Government Offices, the downtown Judicial Complex, and all Library branches are closed on Friday, September 30.
Citizens Information Line: Open Thursday, September 28 and Friday, September 29 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- 843.746.3909 (Spanish)
- Pet Shelter located at 3841 Leeds Avenue, North Charleston, SC 29405.
- Dunston Elementary located at 1825 Remount Road, North Charleston, SC 29406.
- Buses will run to shelters until 6 p.m. on Thursday, September 29. Pickup points are designated with blue hurricane pickup signs. The location of hurricane stops are available in Charleston County’s Hurricane Guide which can be found here.
Charleston County Parking Garages:
- Garages located at 85 Queen Street and 90 Cumberland Street are open to the public for parking. Vehicles must be removed by Sunday, October 2 at noon.
- The Bees Ferry Landfill and all County Convenience Centers are closed and scheduled to resume normal operations Monday, October 3.
- There will be no curbside recycling collections on Friday, September 30 or Saturday, October 1. If your recycling service day is Friday, September 30, your service will resume on Friday, October 14, your next scheduled service day.
- Marriage License applications are available online at https://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/probate/marriage-license.php#online-marriage-license-application.
- Probating an estate or for guardianships and conservatorships are available via the EZ filing probate system at https://ez-filing.net/southcarolina/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fsouthcarolina.
- For assistance contact Judge Irv Condon at 843.817.2039.
Charleston County Public Libraries:
- Charleston County Public Libraries are closed Saturday, October 1 and Sunday, October 2. Branches are scheduled to resume normal operations on Monday, October 3.
- Book drops and automated material returns will also be closed during this time.
DAODAS (The Charleston Center):
- All outpatient services are cancelled Friday.
- Residential and Withdrawal Management is open but will not be taking any new admissions at this time.
- All services are scheduled to resume normal operations Monday, October 3.
- Friday afternoon session TBD.
- Saturday 2 p.m. session only.
Charleston County’s Hurricane Preparedness Guide can be found at https://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/emergency-management/hurricane.php#hpg.
Don Your Ugliest Sweater for Islander 71’s Christmas-Themed Trivia Night on December 14th
Break out your ugliest Christmas sweater because the team at Islander 71 is hosting Christmas-themed trivia on December 14th, 2022....