Presbyterian Communities of South Carolina (PCSC) is implementing a mandatory vaccination policy for staff members across all six facilities in South Carolina.
“This tough decision came after much thought, discussion and prayer,” said Dr. Franklin Fant, President and CEO, PCSC. “As caregivers our decision about being vaccinated impacts the health risks of others.”
Recently, three events confirmed to PCSC leadership that now is the right time to implement a mandatory vaccination policy:
- the surge of infections in South Carolina
- the FDA approval of the Pfizer vaccine
- the White House mandate that all nursing home workers be vaccinated in order for those facilities to continue receiving Medicare and Medicaid funds
At PCSC, all staff must have received at least one vaccination dose or have been granted a medical or religious exemption by September 27. Second dose vaccinations must be received by October 29
PCSC currently employs nearly 1,000 people, approximately 70% of which have been vaccinated. Fant hopes to increase that number. PCSC is offering each staff member $100 to be vaccinated, along with robust educational forums with health care experts on vaccinations. CEO Franklin Fant acknowledges the new policy may impact staffing.
“I realize there are differing of opinions regarding the COVID vaccination, but we have prayerfully decided to prioritize safety from COVID infection before other considerations,” said Fant. “It is our job – our calling – to create the safest and most caring environment we can for vulnerable older adults. This now includes our being vaccinated. Virtually every resident that can be vaccinated has been. Because we essentially work in their home, now it is our turn.”
About Presbyterian Communities of South Carolina (PCSC)
Presbyterian Communities of South Carolina (PCSC) is a non-profit, faith-based senior living organization providing a full continuum of care in South Carolina. Founded in 1958, PCSC now has six communities across South Carolina with approximately 1,000 staff members and 900 residents. The communities are:
- The Clinton Presbyterian Community – Clinton, SC
- The Foothills Presbyterian Community – Easley, SC
- The Florence Presbyterian Community – Florence, SC
- The Columbia Presbyterian Community – Lexington, SC
- The Village at Summerville – Summerville, SC
- Laurel Crest – West Columbia, SC
Inaugural CF Bites Event to Benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Press Release Help make CF stand for Cure Found by attending a Halloween themed party filled with dancing and spirits...