Basic Kitchen (BK) this week announced the 2nd annual BK Salad Project, a seven-week campaign celebrating seasonal produce, local businesses, and food education, will run from August 2nd to September 19th.
For the project, Basic Kitchen has invited seven local tastemakers to create a signature salad to be featured on the menu for one week each, with all salad proceeds benefiting The Green Heart Project. This local non-profit works to educate Charleston youth through experiential learning, enhancing their education with school gardens, building healthy eating habits, and building the community.
BK’s Salad Project kicks off on Monday, August 2nd and offers guests the chance to sample a different salad each week while giving back to the community. Chef Charlie Layton will work with local partners to bring their dream salad to the Basic Kitchen menu. The line-up is as follows:
- Week of August 2nd – Shuai Wang, chef and owner of Jackrabbit Filly
- Week of August 9th – Maggie Young, trainer at Ethos Athletic Club
- Week of August 16th – Thomas Berolzheimer, founder of Garden Tom
- Week of August 23rd – Molly Fienning, CEO of Red Clay Hot Sauce
- Week of August 30th – Vivian Howard, TV host, author, chef, restaurateur of Lenoir, Handy & Hot, and Chef & the Farmer
- Week of September 6th – Jessica Murnane, author Know Your Endo and One Part Plant
- Week of September 13th – Brooks Reitz, restauranteur and founder of Jack Rudy Cocktail Co.
The series culminates in the ultimate salad celebration on September 23rd, with a garden party at Basic Kitchen. Guests are invited to join the BK Salad Project partners to sample each salad, sip on tasty cocktails, and groove to live music. Tickets for the event will be released soon.
Basic Kitchen encourages guests to post their BK Salad Project experience using the hashtag, #BKSaladProject. By posting a photo with the hashtag, guests will be entered to win a gift bag filled with products and services donated by the featured “salad artists.”
Basic Kitchen is located at 82 Wentworth Street and is open for dinner Sunday through Thursday from 5 pm to 9 pm, Friday and Saturday from 5 pm to 10 pm with lunch service on Monday through Friday from 11 am to 3 pm, and weekend brunch from 10 am to 3 pm. Reservations are available on Resy. For more information visit basickitchen.com or follow @BasicKitchen.
Charleston Gaillard Center Announces “One Night of Queen” in April
Gary Mullen & The Works are celebrating the 20th Anniversary of their world-renowned One Night Of Queen live concert performance,...