This week, The Gibbes Museum of Art welcomes two new artists in residence, Camela Guevara and Francis Sills, as part of the Visiting Artist Series. The Visiting Artist Series is a program that highlights artists from South Carolina whose work contributes to a new understanding of art in the south by providing them with a workspace and platform to showcase their art.
See below for more information:
- Camela Guevara, May 3 – May 30
- Studio Hours: Wednesday 1 pm to 4 pm, Friday 11 am to 3 pm, Saturday 1 pm to 4 pm
- Camela Guevara is a fiber artist and painter from Charleston who creates handmade monuments and expressive paintings. She employs traditional techniques to re-contextualize everyday objects to challenge capitalistic ideals of consumption. While at the Gibbes, the artist will merge her two practices of sewing and painting while engaging museum visitors to rethink their connection to cloth and fabric.
- Francis Sills, May 3 – May 30
- Studio Hours: Tuesday 11 am to 2 pm, Thursday 11 am to 2 pm, Saturday 1 pm to 5 pm
- An adjunct faculty member at the College of Charleston, Sills, was exposed to the natural world at a young age through hiking and fishing. He uses his early childhood memories of nature as inspiration for his work. His ongoing series “The Flora” utilizes the flowers and plants from his home garden painted in Plein air or juxtaposed with various shaped mirrors and objects. While at the Gibbes, he will continue augmenting flora encouraging visitors to grow alongside the plants and flowers in front of them.
Gaillard Center Announces Second Theo Von Show
Comedian and podcast host Theo Von has added a second show at the Gaillard Center on Saturday, October 23, 2021...
Gaillard Center Announces “Million Dollar Quartet”
Heather McMahan to Perform at the Gaillard Center
Gaillard Center Announces L.O.L. Surprise! Live
Mitchell Hill Celebrates Photography By Tyler Hill with the Opening of “More Together Than Alone”
Charleston Beer Week Set to Return in October
“Whose Line Is It Anyway?” Stars to Perform at the Music Hall
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized1 year ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Events10 hours ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Weekend Preview9 hours ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- Food1 week ago
Smoky Oak Taproom Closing After 13 Years on James Island
- Resources8 years ago
- Site Updates3 years ago
HCS Patreon Supporters
- Uncategorized3 weeks ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players