The South Carolina Arts Awards will honor South Carolinians for their exceptional achievements in, support of, or advocacy for the arts during a professionally produced online streaming presentation planned for Monday, May 24th, 2020 at 6 pm.
The South Carolina Arts Commission (SCAC) and partner McKissick Museum at the University of South Carolina look forward to honoring the seven recipients of the South Carolina Governor’s Awards for the Arts and two recipients of the Jean Laney Harris Folk Heritage Awards in a special online presentation on SouthCarolinaArts.com.
Lead host and SCAC Executive Director David Platts will be joined again by South Carolina First Lady Peggy McMaster as co-host from the Governor’s Mansion. UofSC McKissick Museum Executive Director Jane Przybysz will join Platts and McMaster to announce the Folk Heritage Award recipients. Platts will announce the Governor’s Award recipients.
Surprise guests will join to help introduce each recipient. Mini-films by South Carolina filmmakers Drew Baron, Lynn Cornfoot, Abe Duenas, Patrick Hayes, Roni Henderson, Lee Ann Kornegay, and Ebony Wilson will debut, telling each recipient’s story. The filmmakers worked under the direction of producer Betsy Newman. Location shooting for the ceremony and production of the stream are being provided by Midlands-based iSite Multimedia and Fisher Films.
The Governor’s Award recipients were announced in February. The recipients are:
- Tom Flowers (posthumous, Greenville): Lifetime Achievement Award
- Charlton Singleton (Charleston): Artist Category
- Jennifer Clark Evins (Spartanburg): Individual Category
- Dr. Tayloe Harding (Columbia): Arts in Education Category
- Colonial Life (Columbia): Business/Foundation Category
- ColaJazz Foundation (Columbia): Organization Category
- Marjory Wentworth (Mount Pleasant): Special Award
The Folk Heritage Award recipients were also announced in February. Being honored are:
- Jugnu Verma (Lexington): Traditional Indian folk arts
- Robert Hill, III (Plantersville): Advocacy, American long rifles and accoutrements
Cooper River Bridge Run Kids Run & Family Festival Rescheduled Due to Impending Weather
The Cooper River Bridge Run has postponed the Kids Run & Family Festival originally scheduled for this Sunday, October 2nd...