CALL FOR ARTISTS: Charleston Pour House Mural Design Contest
The Charleston Pour House, Redux Contemporary Art Center, and Charlietown Prints this week announced the 2020 Mural Competition. The mural project is a competition for local and regional artists to create large scale murals in and around the Charleston Pour House. There will be a total of 23 spots available, with varying sizes but most within the range of 8′ x 10’.
Artists must start and complete their murals from January 11th through January 18th during open hours. Voting from the public will take place the following week, concluding on Sunday, January 24th. Prizes will be awarded to the top three fan favorite murals!
- 1st Place
- $500 cash prize
- A one-year admission into shows at the Charleston Pour House
- New design for tee shirts to be sold at the Pour House by Charlietown Prints
- Redux will give the winning mural a free class of the artist’s choice
- This includes any multi-week class or any one-night workshop)
- 2nd Place
- $200 cash prize
- $50 gift certificate to the Pour House
- 3-month free admission to shows at the Pour House
- Redux is willing to throw in a free one-day workshop class of the muralist’s choosing
- 3rd Place
- $100 cash prize
- Pour House merch package and one-month free admission to shows at the Pour House
- Redux will throw in entry to one ticketed event, including the Annual Art Auction & Gala
ON TOP OF ALL THIS: Every artist selected to participate in the mural competition will receive a one-year membership to Redux.
What We Are Looking For:
We would like each artist to submit a mural design with the inspiration being promoting community through music and art. All murals *must* be able to stand up to outside weather, i.e., sealant, polyurethane etc., any and all styles are welcomed for submission. We are looking for captivating designs that are visually appealing to the Pour House audience and represent the community we foster.
ENTRY RULES AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Artists must be at least 18 years of age
- Artists must submit samples or images of the proposed mural design with application
- Entries must be artist’s original work
- If accepted, artist’s work must be complete (including weather proofing) by January 17th
- While some paint and other supplies (brushes etc.,) will be available for use, the artist is responsible for providing any specific colors or materials they may need
A panel of Pour House and Redux staff along with Charlietown Prints will select participants based on the artist’s submissions and the demonstrated strength of the artist’s concept and craftsmanship, as well as originality of the proposed mural. Submit your design in the size of the dimension in which category you prefer to take part, but final say will be from the staff in deciding what area each artist design will fit best. When creating the design, think Love, think Live, think Music.
- DEC 1 – Submissions open
- JAN 3 – Submissions close
- JAN 4 – Notifications sent
- JAN 8 – Mandatory in-person meeting for all muralists
- JAN 11 – Painting of murals begins
- JAN. 18 – Last day for mural painting
- JAN. 18 – 24 VOTING IS LIVE
- JAN. 25 – Winners announced
You can fill out the submission form here.
Volvo Cars will Host “The Volvo Experience,” An Immersive Career Fair
Volvo Cars will host “The Volvo Experience,” an immersive career fair at the Orangeburg County Conference Center on Wednesday, April...