The Battery are in St. Petersburg, Fla., Saturday night to take on the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the Eastern Conference Semifinals at 7:30 pm. In a USL Championship season like none other, it will be the fifth time the two teams have met in 2020.
The Battery are coming off a 2-1 extra-time win against the Charlotte Independence in the conference quarterfinal while the Rowdies enter the semifinal Saturday after a 4-2 first-round win over Birmingham Legion FC. It’s win or go home for both sides in a Saturday night matchup between two very familiar teams that is sure to be battle.
- In their thirteenth consecutive postseason run, the Battery return to the Eastern Conference Semifinals for the first time since 2016. With a win over Tampa Bay Saturday night, Charleston would advance to the Conference Finals for the first time since 2013.
- Charleston currently have a 3-1-0 record against Tampa Bay this season, being the only team in the USL Championship to defeat Tampa Bay in 2020. That record included a 2-1 win over the Rowdies at Al Lang Stadium to close out the regular season on October 3.
- The Battery sit 6 points behind Tampa Bay Rowdies in the Group H standings with 2 games in hand. A win Sunday keeps them on track to unseat Tampa Bay’s hold on first place.
- In the scenario of a Charleston win as well as a St. Louis win over Louisville Saturday night, the Battery would secure the right to host the Conference Finals back at Patriots Point next week.
Both teams know what to expect from the other at this point in the season as they develop their gameplans for Saturday’s matchup. The Black and Yellow will continue to focus on the defensive unit’s cohesion that’s seen success against Rowdies. Tampa Bay hasn’t scored more than once against Charleston since July 31. The Rowdies, however, found their firepower last week, putting in four goals against Birmingham in their quarterfinal.
The Charleston front will have to attack the Rowdies back line early as their success against Tampa Bay this season has come when scoring first. But sustaining that pressure for the full 90 minutes will be key. Charleston gave up a few chances to Charlotte that they can’t afford against a talented Rowdies side. Neil Collins’ has shown efficient use of his bench and is able to make key substitutions that pay dividends, as seen against Birmingham with Leo Fernandes and Lucky Mkosana both subbing in and contributing goals. The Battery will have to come out strong in the second half and be ready to adjust to any Rowdies reinforcements.
Ones to Watch This Week
Tampa Bay – Lewis Hilton
The Rowdies midfield is stacked with all sorts of playmakers this season. As one of those playmakers, Hilton leads his side with 28 chances created so far this season. With an impressive 86.3% pass completion rating, Hilton knows where to put the ball to create a threat. The Rowdies will look to Hilton Saturday if Tampa Bay is going to finally break open the Charleston back line.
Charleston – Mauro Cichero
Mauro Cichero has filled a spot that Charleston had been missing for some time. Cichero thrives in the attacking third as he’s able to create something out of nothing nearly every time he touches the ball. He has 2 goals, 2 assists, 12 shots on target, and has created 13 chances for the Black and Yellow so far this season. The Battery will continue to use Cichero’s strengths to their benefit to keep their sights set on the Conference Finals.
Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Charleston Battery
Saturday, October 17 – 7:30 p.m. EST Kickoff – Patriots Point
How to Watch: ESPN+
Charleston Horticultural Society Announces 20th Annual Fall Garden Tour
For their landmark 20th Annual Fall Garden Tour, Charleston Horticultural Society (CHS Hort) has set its sights on the beautiful...
UPDATE: Skinful Halloween’s 2021 Event Canceled
Celebrate the Holiday Season with Festive Experiences, Family-Friendly Activities, & More at Montage Palmetto Bluff
Harvest Festival Returns to Johns Island County Park on November 6th
Rockabillaque Returns Next Month for Three-Day Event
Living Your Truth Series Returns with Mayors Steve Benjamin and Joe Riley
North Charleston PAC to Host An Evening With Chevy Chase Following a Screening of “Christmas Vacation”
- Uncategorized9 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized2 years ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Uncategorized4 months ago
Appreciating Whisky Online Singapore Drinks
- Events2 days ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players
- Uncategorized3 months ago
How to Plan Your Home Budget
- Weekend Preview11 hours ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- News1 week ago
Marvel Star in Charleston to Scout Location for New Movie