Charleston County Public Library (CCPL) wants your input! CCPL is collecting input and opinions from community members about potential programs/events and makerspace (do-it-yourself) equipment for the new Bees Ferry West Ashley Library. The information collected will be used to develop a program guide for the branch as well as guide the purchase of creative studio tools. The new library is expected to open in the fall.
“The community provides valuable input and we want to make sure our patrons are part of shaping and molding the programs they would like to experience inside their library,” said CCPL Executive Director Angela Craig.
This new library is one of several new buildings erected after the passing of a 2014 $108.5 million referendum calling for new facilities and the renovation and update of the existing branches. The referendum was approved by 74% of Charleston County voters.
Community members may provide their feedback by filling out a form on our website. Patrons without internet access may pick up a paper form during curbside operation hours (Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.) by asking a staff member at the following branches:
- Hurd/St. Andrews Library
- West Ashley Library
- Main Library
- Dorchester Road Library
What is a program?
A library program focuses on providing attendees a valuable and engaging experience that meet one or more of the following goals:
- Provides opportunities for continuing education and lifelong learning
- Foster literacy, workforce development, educational success and community engagement
- Serve our community’s diversity through engaging entertainment, enrichment and opportunities to encounter new ideas and learn new skills
- Offers a dynamic exchange of information
- Facilitates wide-ranging discussions and supports civic dialogue
- Fosters community networks and introduces residents
- Allows exploration of ideas in a safe environment
- Enhances the library’s role as a community resource
- Introduces patrons and non-users to library resources, services or programs
- Builds stronger communities
- Expands the visibility of the library
What is a creative studio?
A creative studio, also referred to as a makerspace, is an area in which people can gather to work on Do-It-Yourself (DIY) projects while sharing ideas, equipment, and knowledge. It also serves as an instructional space for these projects and use of equipment. These spaces will feature a variety of tools, based on the community’s interests or needs. For example, a makerspace may include crafting materials, sewing machines, or technology like 3D printers. Each makerspace is unique to the community it serves.
The Refinery Announces October Event Lineup
The Refinery today announced its lineup of events coming up in October. Located on Charleston’s upper peninsula at 1640 Meeting...