Charleston County Public Library (CCPL) will begin providing curbside service to the downtown branches (Main Library and Dart Library) on Monday, June 15th so patrons may pick up books and other items they have placed on hold. The library locations have been closed since March 16th due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The downtown branches will have the same curbside hours of operation as the other branches of the library system. (Due to some construction work, Poe/Sullivan’s Island Library will not be operating curbside service until further notice. Their book drop will also be closed.)
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 9 am to 3 pm
Patrons can place holds on our website at www.ccpl.org anytime or by calling their local branch during the operating hours listed above. The Library has been experiencing issues with its phone system and is working with its carrier to resolve it. If patrons can’t reach their library by phone, they can show up to the library and staff will work to get them their materials as quickly as possible. Patrons should bring their library card or identification.
CCPL is still waiving all fines that would have been accrued on materials during this time. We will not be taking cash payments at this time, so if patrons wish to pay previous fines, they may only do so online through Paypal.
As the inside of the building will not be accessible to the public, in-person programs and room bookings remain suspended. However, virtual programs will continue on our website, where you can access a calendar of virtual events, and on our Facebook page.
Wi-Fi will continue being accessible outside all CCPL buildings Monday through Friday between 10 am and 7 pm.
Patrons may also continue signing up for temporary e-cards and using those e-cards to access all of our digital materials and resources.
CCPL is working hard to ensure it serves its patrons with the best customer service and to maintain the safety of its patrons and staff, the Library asks its patrons follow these instructions when utilizing curbside service:
How to Use Curbside Pick-Up Service:
- Reserve the items you wish to check out by placing a hold online or by phone. All items will be available for checkout except:
- Storytime Kits
- Electronic magnifiers
- New American Kits
- Museum Passes
- You will receive a notification that your items have been processed and are ready to schedule for pick up.
- Call the branch where you indicated you will be picking up your items BEFORE you travel to the branch. Phone calls will be taken during the operating hours listed above to schedule your curbside pickup. *If you are having trouble reaching the library by phone, you may visit the branch and staff will work to accommodate you as quickly as possible. Please have your library card or identification.
- When you arrive at the branch location, please follow the instructions on the signage for parking and remain in your vehicle. Walkers should follow the instructions for walk-up pickup and adhere to social distancing practices.
- Once you arrive, call the branch. The phone number will be listed on the signage at the location upon your arrival and is available on our website at www.ccpl.org/branches. *If the phone lines are still inoperable, a staff member will approach your vehicle and take down your information in order to assist you.
- One of our staff members will ask you to show your library card or identification. They will be wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) and will maintain social distance.
- Wait for us while we work our magic and fetch your items.
- Your items will be delivered to you in your vehicle in a paper bag.
- Enjoy your reading, watching, listening and loving of CCPL items!
- Return your items in the book drops by the due date.
The book returns opened on May 18th and remain open. All items returned are being quarantined for 72 hours before they are processed, checked back in and recirculated. We ask that the following items not be returned in the book drop. If you wish to return any of these items, please call your local branch beginning June 1 to arrange the return.
- Interlibrary loans (ILL’s)
- Storytime Kits
- Digital magnifiers
- Museum passes
- Book Club Kit
Visit ccpl.org or connect with the library on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
UPDATE: 3rd Annual Recovery Jam Postponed to December 3rd
UPDATE on 9/29/22 – Due to threats from Hurricane Ian, this event has been postponed to December 3rd. See the...