Starting on Wednesday, April 22nd, the Junior League of Charleston (JLC) will be hosting a virtual diaper drive to support the JLC Diaper Bank. In the past four weeks, the JLC Diaper Bank has distributed more than 35,125 diapers, free of charge, to Lowcountry families in need as part of the JLC’s COVID-19 relief efforts. The distribution of diapers served more than 718 children during this period and represents a 222% increase in demand which is expected to continue in the months to come. The JLC Diaper Bank needs the support of the community to help meet this need of the youngest members in the Tri-County area.
The COVID-19 pandemic is disproportionately impacting children and families who lack access to clean diapers and other basic needs. Prior to COVID-19, one in three American families struggled to afford enough diapers to keep their infant or toddler clean, dry, and healthy. No state or federal child safety-net program allocates dollars specifically for the purchase of diapers; WIC and SNAP are nutrition-based programs and do not cover diapers. Diaper need can have profound and complex impacts on the health, mental, and economic well-being of children, families, and communities.
Panic buying, hoarding, loss of jobs, school and daycare closures, stay-at-home orders, and business closures have forced more families to turn to the JLC Diaper Bank and their distribution partners for diaper assistance during this crisis. With the heightened demand for diapers and supply issues, suppliers are delaying shipments and some items are not available. To meet this rapidly increasing and urgent need for diaper assistance, the support of the community is essential for the JLC Diaper Bank to continue providing services to area families.
Starting Wednesday,, the JLC Diaper Bank will kick off its annual spring drive to collect diapers, pull-up training pants, and monetary donations. There are several ways the community can support the JLC Diaper Bank and help address this critical and ongoing need in the community:
- Make a donation to the Junior League of Charleston Diaper Bank: www.jlcharleston.org/
- Donate to the JLC Diaper Bank Dollars for Diapers: www.justgiving.com/
- Donate diapers via the JLC Diaper Bank’s Amazon Wish Lists, Walmart-Registry for Good, or Target-Charity Registry: https://linktr.ee/
- Drop off diaper donations at the JLC office located at 51 Folly Road; contact the JLC office at 843-763-5284 to arrange pick-up of large donations
- Donate diapers in the JLC Diaper Bank collection barrels at participating Bi-Lo stores:
- West Ashley: 1200 Sam Rittenburg Blvd.
- James Island: 860 Folly Road
- Johns Island: 3575 Maybank Highway
- Hanahan: 1000 Tanner Ford Blvd.
- Summerville: 975 Bacons Bridge Road and 1625 North Main St.
- Moncks Corner: 110 South Hwy. 52
For an updated list of collection locations, distribution partners, and to learn more about how the community and businesses can partner with the Junior League of Charleston Diaper Bank, visit www.jlcharleston.org/
Charleston Wine + Food Launches 2023 Schedule on New App
Press Release The Charleston Wine + Food Festival (CHSWF) today announced the 2023 programming via the festival’s app, giving guests...