Seniors today are in quite a quandary. Although they didn’t grow up in a time of internet and cell phones, they are increasingly relying on technology to age safely at home. By offering a distinct sense of safety, connection and communication, new devices are improving the quality of life afforded to many older adults.
Here’s a look at some of the most helpful, innovative and popular technology available to seniors in Charleston.
1. Security Camera Systems
Staying safe at home is a concern at any age — particularly for seniors. Older adults often worry about intruders, falls and unmet needs. A home security system can quell those fears by allowing loved ones to check up on and interact with senior citizens living at home. Lorex security systems alleviate unnecessary fear by providing an unobtrusive way to ensure family members are safe. They also allow loved ones to communicate through the built-in speaker and microphone.
2. Pill Dispensers
Facing a daunting list of health conditions, many older adults struggle to stay on top of all their required medications. Skipping doses or taking too many pills, especially if taken at the wrong time, can have dire consequences. Many seniors need multiple medications multiple times a day. Having any sort of cognitive decline makes navigating the labyrinth of medications difficult. Fortunately, there are pill dispensers such as Med Minder that offer a variety of visual and auditory reminders, locking compartments, medical alerts and custom messages from family.
3. Food Delivery Options
Gone are the days when the only option for food delivery was pizza. Courtesy of evolving technology throughout Charleston, seniors now have plenty of choices when it comes to having healthy, delicious food brought to their doorstep. We often see subscription boxes or food delivery as a luxury, but for a lot of people, it’s a lifeline.
Whether someone wants home-cooked favorites where ingredients are delivered but not prepared, prefers restaurant-style meals without having to step foot in an establishment or would like healthy, nutritious options sized just right for an older population, there are a variety of options. With the use of simple technology, senior citizens can receive food from any of the following:
- Meals on Wheels America: Freezer-ready meals for free or at a reduced price
- Splendid Spoon: Chilled, plant-based breakfasts and lunches
- Home Chef: Meal kits that make cooking meals at home less stressful
- Grub Hub: Food delivery service that delivers your favorite meals from nearby restaurants
4. Older Adult Apps
With the increased use of smartphones comes an increased demand for senior-friendly apps. These cellphone-based programs can assist seniors with a variety of tasks, from remembering medical appointments to finding a car in the parking lot. They can also provide health diagnostics for travel-weary adults who want answers in the comfort of their own home. These include:
- Magnifying glasses with light to improve sight for people with vision loss or age-related macular degeneration
- Find My iPhone to help keep track of that pricey iPhone or iPad
- VocalEyes AI that reads aloud everything that is on the screen
- Blood Pressure Companion measures heart rate and blood pressure, allowing an easy way to communicate health status with medical professionals
- Tapestry to connect older adults with their family on a social media app that simplifies communication
From helping people read restaurant menus to adding a sense of security and safety, technology is changing the way senior citizens age at home. It just goes to show that oftentimes, the simplest technology can make a profound impact on a person’s quality of life.
The Refinery Announces Spring 2023 Music Lineup
The Refinery today announced that their 2023 concert season will kick off with a top-tier lineup of performers and festivals....