Brookgreen Gardens announced Bruce Munro at Brookgreen: Southern Light, a major exhibition coming to the garden in Spring 2020. The exhibit will consist of seven works of art in light and mixed media, each designed specifically for the natural garden rooms where they will be installed. Brookgreen’s exhibit will be the only opportunity to see Munro’s work in the southeastern United States in 2020.
“We are thrilled to be on the very exclusive list of venues to host an exhibit by Bruce Munro,” Page Kiniry, Brookgreen Gardens’ President and CEO, said. “At Brookgreen we are dedicated to offering our guests and members the opportunity to experience not only American sculptural art, but art in a variety of mediums. This is a rare opportunity for our community and the region to see the work of this world-renowned artist.”
The following illuminated installations will consist of tens of thousands of components, which will be placed throughout the sculpture gardens and arboretum:
- Field of Light – 11,700 stems of light in softly moving colors covering the Arboretum.
- Fireflies – 600 sprigs, flourishing in Oak Allée.
- Time and Again – 37 stainless steel “lilies” in Pegasus Field.
- Okonjima Choral Society – 2,000 ‘frogs’ singing in unison behind the garden wall at the Brenda S. Rosen Carolina Terrace.
- Hive – installation composed of 1,448 bee-inspired hexagonal elements in the Bell Tower.
- Reflections – 4 mesmerizing sound and light digital projections in the arcade between the Welcome Center and Keepsakes.
- Water-Towers – 10 Towers illuminated by fiber optics and choreographed sound in the grassy area adjacent to The Visionaries sculpture.
“The inspirations behind the artwork being shown at Brookgreen came to me during a visit to the Garden,” Munro said. “I spent time exploring and simply allowing my eye and imagination to wonder and dream. The visit reinforced the notion of a garden made up of a series of interconnected outside ‘rooms.’ It also left me with an impression that the ‘garden rooms,’ populated by figurative sculptures, were surrounded by an untamed landscape, a magical place with an edge of the unknown!”
Brookgreen will be opening Wednesday – Saturday evenings from 6 pm to 10 pm. for this exhibit. The exhibit will run from April 8th – September 12th, 2020. Tickets will be available for purchase this fall, and a special season pass will be available for members of Brookgreen Gardens.
On Saturday, April 4, 2020, an exclusive VIP launch event, hosted by the Friends of Brookgreen Gardens, will inaugurate the exhibit.
Gullah Convention & Visitors Bureau Hosting Launch Event on Sunday
The Gullah Convention & Visitors Bureau (Gullah CVB) will host their inaugural event on Sunday, December 11th, from 2 pm...