Inspired by their back garden and Charleston’s summer harvest, Basic Kitchen invited six of their favorite local ‘tastemakers’ to create a signature salad to be featured on the menu for one week each, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting The Green Heart Project. This local non-profit works to educate Charleston youth through experiential learning; enhancing their education with school gardens, building healthy eating habits and building community.
BK’s Salad Project kicked off on July 22nd and offers guests the chance to sample a different salad each week and give back to the community. Chef Robin Hollis will work with local partners to bring their dream salad to the BK menu. The line-up is as follows:
- Week of July 22nd – Sarah Frick, founder of The Works
- Week of July 29th – Helen Hall, founder of Hushup X Hustle and Blender Bombs
- Week of August 5th – Stacy Smallwood, owner of Hampden Clothing
- Week of August 12th – Joey Welling, co-owner of Exemplar Fitness
- Week of August 19th – Jessica Murnane, author One Part Plant Cookbook + host of One Part Podcast
- Week of August 26th – Jacques Larson, chef and owner of Obstinate Daughter and Wild Olive
The series culminates in the ultimate salad celebration on Sunday, September 1st at 6:30 pm, with a garden party at Basic Kitchen. Guests are invited to join the Salad Project partners to sample each salad, sip on tasty cocktails, enjoy live music, and enter a raffle packed with local winnings. Tickets for the event are $25 and available here.
Basic Kitchen is located at 82 Wentworth Street and is open for dinner Monday – Saturday from 5:30 pm – 10 pm, with lunch service on Monday – Friday from 11 am – 3 pm, snacks from 3 pm – 5:30 pm, and weekend brunch from 9 am – 3 pm. Reservations are available on Resy. For more information visit basickitchen.com.
Charleston County Parks’ Summer Entertainment Series Returns in June
Press Release Charleston County Parks’ popular Summer Entertainment Series is back! The nine-week show series, held at James Island and...