American Quilter’s Society (AQS), the largest quilting membership organization in the world, recently announced that its newest AQS QuiltWeek show will be in Charleston from September 25th to 27th, 2019 at the Charleston Area Convention Center.
AQS QuiltWeek 2019 includes six shows across the country and concludes with a three-day event in Charleston. Each AQS QuiltWeek show features a variety of programming including special exhibitions, workshops by renowned instructors, contests, and a Merchant Mall with the latest machines, fabrics, and tools for quilters of every skill level.
“The special exhibits on display are intended to provide inspiration and entertainment for quilters, collectors and fiber art enthusiasts attending the event,” Bonnie Browning, AQS Executive Show Director, said. “We expect more than 15,000 attendees at our first ever Charleston event and are looking forward to bringing the wonderful art of quilting to the Holy City.”
In addition to more than 530 quilts on display, $54,000 in prizes will be awarded during the AQS Quilt Contest at the event. AQS Certified Quilt Appraisers will be on hand to appraise new and vintage quilts for insurance documentation or fair market values.
The Charleston QuiltWeek show features a total of 11 exhibitions over three days, including:
- Quilts of Valor: A 50 State Salute
- The “50 State Salute” exhibit features quilts made in patriotic designs, from the simple to the complex. Each quilt will be awarded to veterans and military members touched by war by the Quilts of Valor Foundation. These quilts are meant to inspire all levels of quiltmakers and to showcase the many possibilities for expressing gratitude to our military through quilts.
- From Hands Alone: Selected Quilts from the Collection of Chris Moline
- The quilts included in this exhibit are selected from the collection of Chris Moline and represent items that display the artistry and innovation of handmade quilts. Moline is an author, collector, lecturer, teacher and textile historian.
- SAQA: Metamorphosis
- Metamorphosis generates transformative change in shape, nature, or structure. Animals physically develop and change from birth to maturity. Concepts and ideas morph and change over time. Even the earth’s landscape progresses through many geological and ecological stages. The pieces in this exhibition demonstrate the inevitability of physical, philosophical or personal change and the results of such transformations.
- International Miniature Quilt Exchange
- The QuiltShow.com sponsored a quilt exchange between quilters in the United States and international quilters. The quiltmakers were paired up to develop a friendship and to learn about each of their own quiltmaking styles. Each team submitted two 18–24” quilts, 300 total, and 24 “mini” quilts were selected for this traveling exhibit.
- 35 Years of AQS Anniversary Showcase
- This exhibition showcases 15 of the previous Best of Show winning quilts at AQS QuiltWeek Shows, which are on loan from the National Quilt Museum’s permanent collection. In addition, this exhibit will also include a collection of AQS show pins, a T-shirt quilt by Molinda Lauxmiller featuring shirts from previous AQS QuiltWeek shows, and other American Quilter’s Society memorabilia from the past 35 years.
For a full list of exhibitions, visit the official website here.
To avoid lines, purchasing tickets in advance online is encouraged. Visit www.quiltweek.com to purchase tickets. AQS Members receive 20 percent off and anyone who places their order 30 days or more before the show receives 10 percent off. Group and discounted hotel room rates are available.
About the American Quilter’s Society
In 1984, after recognizing the enthusiasm for quilting across the country, Meredith and Bill Schroeder formed the American Quilter’s Society (AQS). Their goal was to develop a group that gave national recognition to quilters and their work and to set the standard for excellence in the quilting industry. Today, AQS is the largest quilting membership organization in the world, with over 70,000 members worldwide. 2019 marks the 35th anniversary of the AQS QuiltWeek Show which began in Paducah, KY, known as Quilt City USA® and has since expanded to six shows annually. AQS QuiltWeek 2019 includes six events in cities across the country and kicks off with a four-day event in Daytona Beach. Each show includes a variety of programming, including special exhibitions, workshops by renowned instructors, contests and a Merchant Mall with the latest machines, fabrics and tools for quilters of every skill level. For more information about the American Quilter’s Society, please visit http://www.americanquilter.com or call 270-898-7903.
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
By Jeff Walker, Entertainment Writer We at Holy City Sinner thank you for your patronage and hope 2021 is an...
Gaillard Center Announces An Evening with Antoni
BCLS announces 2D Animation Workshop and Video Instruction Partnership
PCC Honoring National HIV Testing Day with Extended Hours, Gifts
BCLS Hosts a Variety of Children’s Virtual Programs for Summer 2021
Fetter Health Care Network extends COVID-19 vaccine clinics into July
High Tide Music Festival Coming to Riverfront Park this September
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized1 year ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Uncategorized4 weeks ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players
- Events10 hours ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Weekend Preview4 days ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- Resources8 years ago
- Site Updates3 years ago
HCS Patreon Supporters
- Food7 years ago
Charleston’s Food Trucks