By: CSU Sports Media
Charleston Southern staged a late comeback effort in both games Saturday, but Longwood escaped with a pair of one-run wins 3-2 and 7-6 from Buddy Bolding Stadium.
In game one, Longwood (9-21, 4-8 Big South) struck first in the third inning before CSU (11-24, 1-10 Big South) answered with a two-spot in the fourth but couldn’t muster anything else the rest of the way. Game two saw the Bucs strike first in the opening frame but a four-run second swung momentum back into the Lancer dugout.
CSU had another three-run response in the fourth to tie it 4-4, but Longwood had one more big inning scoring three and taking a 7-4 lead before holding on in the ninth.
Jason Miller collected five hits to lead the CSU offense across two games and extend his streak to 14-striaght, but CSU couldn’t drive in key runs down the stretch to overcome the early holes.
Game 1 – Longwood 3, CSU 2
How They Scored
· Longwood scored first in third inning behind two hits and a walk for a 1-0 margin, but CSU came right back with two in the fourth for a 2-1 lead.
· In the two-run fourth, CSU scored their first run on Ryan Stoudemire’s RBI double then a passed ball for the 2-1 margin. The inning was set up by Jason Miller’s leadoff double – his second of the week before Stoudemire drove him in.
· Longwood got two back in the seventh to retake the lead at 3-2 where it would stand.
Game 2 – Longwood 7, CSU 6
How They Scored
· CSU struck first with an unearned run to open the ballgame and take a 1-0 lead off Longwood starter Andrew Melnyk.
· After a perfect first inning, the Longwood bats erupted for four runs in the second to take the 4-1 lead and leaving the bases loaded.
· The Bucs had a big frame of their own up their sleeve scoring three times in the fourth on just one hit – Miller’s leadoff single.
· A pair of bases-loaded walks made it 4-4 in the top half, but another Lancer rally in the bottom half gave them the lead once again as they held on down the stretch.
· CSU tried one final time with two runs in the ninth, but left the tying run at second.
Charleston Southern and Longwood end the three-game series Sunday at 1 p.m. with the Bucs looking for a win in the finale.
Alabama’s 50th Anniversary Tour Coming to the North Charleston Coliseum
Multi-platinum selling country rock group Alabama announced they will be bringing their “50th Anniversary Tour” to the North Charleston Coliseum...
Gaillard Center Announces L.O.L. Surprise! Live
Mitchell Hill Celebrates Photography By Tyler Hill with the Opening of “More Together Than Alone”
Charleston Beer Week Set to Return in October
“Whose Line Is It Anyway?” Stars to Perform at the Music Hall
Party at the Point Returns Next Month
Johns Island County Park Concert Series to Features Motown Tunes from The Legacy
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized1 year ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Events4 days ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Weekend Preview3 days ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- Food1 week ago
Smoky Oak Taproom Closing After 13 Years on James Island
- Resources8 years ago
- Site Updates3 years ago
HCS Patreon Supporters
- Food7 years ago
Charleston’s Food Trucks