On Tuesday, January 1st, the 6th annual Bill Murray Look-a-Like Polar Bear Plunge will take place in front of the Tides Hotel on Folly Beach. As you may remember, the event pays tribute to one of the Holy City’s favorite residents – Mr. William James Murray.
All attendees are encouraged to come dressed as their favorite Murray character and prepare to “freeze their Bills off.” In celebration of the film’s 30th anniversary, this year’s theme is Scrooged – the holiday comedy where Murray plays a grumpy executive whom lacks holiday spirit. The good news is your holiday spirit can get some more play. Cash prizes will be awarded for Best Guy, Best Girl, Best Kid, Best Team, and Best Overall Bill Murray costumes.
The contests will begin at 10 am. Attendees will then take the cold plunge at 11 am. There is a $5 entry fee for the costume contest (for anyone 18 years or over).
In addition, the event includes:
- 50/50 Raffle
- Enter to win half the pot ($5 entry)
- Get your raffle tickets starting at 10 am
- Winner will be pulled directly following the plunge
- Winner does not need to be present at the time, but must be willing to pick up prize
- Kids Crafts
- Join Ruth from the Folly Beach Library for themed kid crafts starting at 10 am
- Live Music
- Dave Landeo Trio will perform starting at 1:30 pm at the Tides Hotel
- Deep Eddy Vodka Bloody Mary Competition
- Stop by participating Folly Beach restaurants to try their best take on the classic Bloody Mary
- The competition starts on Saturday, December 29th and ends on New Year’s Day
- Voting will be collected through the Visit Folly App and the winner will be announced on Wednesday, January 2nd on visitfolly.com and on the Visit Folly Facebook page
- Participating Restaurants
- Blu, Chico Feo, Drop In Bar & Deli, Folly Beach Crab Shack, Jack Of Cups, Loggerheads, Locklear’s on Little Oak, Lowlife, Pier 101, Planet Follywood, Rita’s Seaside Grille, Sand Dollar Social Club, Snapper Jack’s, St. James Gate, Surf Bar, Taco Boy, The Washout, Wiki Wiki Sandbar, Woody’s
The Polar Bear Plunge is hosted by the Folly Association of Business (FAB). Proceeds from this event will benefit FAB, an organization which also hosts the New Year’s and July 4th fireworks displays, Taste of Folly, Folly Gras, as well as the Sea & Sand Festival. FAB also gives back to the community with ongoing City beautification efforts and contributions to local Folly charities.
For more information, click here.
City of Charleston Office of Cultural Affairs announces “Homegoing: A Juried Exhibition”
Press Release The City of Charleston Office of Cultural Affairs presents Homegoing: A Juried Exhibition, on view through January 29th, 2023...