Cindy Bohn Coats (right), Charleston County School District (CCSD) Board of Trustees member, was elected as Region 2 Director of the South Carolina School Boards Association (SCSBA) during the association’s annual Delegate Assembly in Charleston December 8, 2018. She was elected to a four-year term. Region 2 serves Charleston County.
The association’s annual business meeting, which was held during the association’s Legislative Advocacy Conference, included voting delegates from most of the state’s 81 school boards. In addition to electing association officers, delegates adopted resolutions to guide the association during the 2019 legislative session.
“It is an honor to represent Region 2 on the South Carolina School Board Association’s Board of Directors,” said Coats. “The majority of the issues related to education in Charleston County are faced by every school district in South Carolina. By working together, comparing successes, discussing issues, and communicating with our state leadership, we are able to harness the power of many voices advocating for change.”
Coats has served on the CCSD Board of Trustees since 2010. She served as the chair of the Audit/Finance Committee for two years, as Vice Chair for one year, and served as Chair from 2012 through 2016. She has earned Level Three of the SCSBA Boardmanship Institute.
Coats is the Executive Director of The Sanctuary for Sober Living, an organization dedicated to supporting addicts in recovery and their families, providing educational and prevention programs to local schools, community groups, and churches, and advocating for addiction support and treatment at the local, state, and national level.
Officers elected to lead the association’s board of directors for a one-year term are as follows:
- President, Tony Folk, Dorchester School District Four
- President-elect, Chuck Saylors, Greenville County Schools
- Vice President, Cheryl Burgess, Lexington School District Three
- Secretary/Treasurer, Jamie Devine, Richland One School District
Others elected to serve a four-year term on the 23-member board of directors as regional directors are:
- Region 2, Cindy Bohn Coats, Charleston County School District
- Region 6, Charles Govan, Darlington County School District
- Region 8, Amelia McKie, Richland School District Two
- Region 10, Hannah Priester, Hampton District One
- Region 11, Tim Rhodes, Abbeville County School District
- Region 14, Travis Sloan, Spartanburg School District One
Charleston Wine + Food Launches 2023 Schedule on New App
Press Release The Charleston Wine + Food Festival (CHSWF) today announced the 2023 programming via the festival’s app, giving guests...