The South Carolina Aquarium today announced the 2018-19 season of Holland Lifelong Learning, a progressive series of conservation-minded educational events to engage adult audiences. The season’s six programs will address trending topics in conservation and reflect the Aquarium’s mission to connect people with water, wildlife and wild places.
The series kicks off on Wednesday, September 19th at the South Carolina Aquarium with “A Balancing Act: Understanding Life on Local Reefs.” Topics for the series include:
- A Balancing Act: Understanding Life on Local Reefs (Sept. 19, 2018 at the South Carolina Aquarium): From shipwrecks to concrete cones, man-made structures off the South Carolina coast are teeming with life. Experience a diver’s view as we descend below the surface virtually and uncover the importance of artificial reefs for maintaining a balanced ocean. The program features South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) Artificial Reef Coordinator Robert Martore and South Carolina Aquarium Senior Biologist and Dive Safety Officer Arnold Postell.
- Scavengers and Thieves: Protecting Birds We Can’t Live Without (Oct. 9, 2018 at the Charleston Museum): Birds that feast on carrion are largely underappreciated and often misunderstood. Learn more about the threats currently facing these integral endangered species. The Center for Birds of Prey Director of Education Stephen Schabel will shed light on a vital part of the ecosystem.
- Sirens of the Sea: Tracking Local Manatee Migrations (Nov. 6, 2018 at the South Carolina Aquarium): Manatees, enormous yet docile marine mammals, visit the South Carolina coast annually. Learn more about this elusive animal with retired SCDNR veterinarian Dr. Al Segars.
- Unearthing a Mystery: Stories from Marine Mammal Paleontologists (Jan. 16, 2019 at the Mace Brown Natural History Museum): How different are today’s marine mammals from those that swam around millions of years ago? Find out during a lecture by College of Charleston adjunct lecturer Dr. Bobby Boessenecker and through a tour by Mace Brown Museum Collections Manager Sarah Michalies.
- Love on Land: An Evening with Ron Magill (Feb. 7, 2019 at the South Carolina Aquarium): Did you forget the chocolates and flowers this year? Celebrate Valentine’s Day in a unique way with Ron Magill, a renowned wildlife expert and photographer. Event is 21 and up—prepare to laugh and possibly blush.
- World of Wonder: What Lies Beneath (March 22, 2019 at the American Theater): It seems like we understand so much about the world below the surface, but believe it or not, only 5% of the ocean has been mapped and explored. Join us as we meet scientists traveling to the unknown and celebrate the wonder yet to be discovered. More details will be announced at a later date.
For more information and to purchase tickets, visit scaquarium.org/
Jeni’s Invites You to Help Set a World Record by Eating Ice Cream For Breakfast
Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams is planning something really big this Ice Cream for Breakfast Day (yes, it’s a thing) —...