For countless low-income families in South Carolina, it is a struggle to provide adequate necessities like diapers for their babies with the average cost of diapers for a child climbing up to $1,250 per year. When families cannot afford diapers, children cannot attend daycare, which may prevent parents from making an income.
Junior League of Charleston (JLC) volunteers will be on site at three area Harris Teeter locations during tax free weekend to collect donations. They’ll be at the following locations on Saturday, August 4th from 9 am to 1 pm, and Sunday, August 5th, from 9 am to 4 pm:
- Belle Hall Shopping Center (620 Long Point Road, Mt. Pleasant)
- St. Andrews (975 Savannah Hwy., St. Andrews Shopping Center, Charleston)
- Oakpoint (675 Folly Road, Oakpoint Center, Charleston)
Other businesses in the area will also serve as drop-off locations throughout the week:
- West Ashley Library (45 Windermere Blvd., Charleston)
- Carolina One (195 W Coleman Blvd., Mt. Pleasant)
- Barre Code (during class times only – 1440 Ben Sawyer Blvd., Mt. Pleasant)
- Handsome Properties (285 Meeting Street, Charleston)
- Blue Acorn (145 Williman Street, Charleston)
The summer collection drive gives JLC an opportunity to spread awareness and educate the Lowcountry community about this tremendous need. The organization’s first diaper collection drive in August 2017 brought in over 15,000 diapers for distribution to select community partner organizations. The JLC has a goal to exceed that number this year.
The Junior League of Charleston Diaper Bank launched in 2017 as the first of its kind in the area. The organization collects, packages and works with community partner organizations to distribute diapers to those in need throughout the Lowcountry. These organizations include:
- Lowcountry C.A.R.E.S. Ministries
- Tricounty Family Ministries
- East Cooper Community Outreach
- The Community Outreach Center at St. Matthews
- The Shifa Free Clinic
- Florence Crittenton Programs of SC
- Bethel United Methodist Church
- Lowcountry Orphan Relief
- Ronald McDonald House
Throughout the year, the JLC encourages schools and local businesses to host their own drives to increase awareness of the Diaper Bank and its mission throughout the Lowcountry.
To inquire about diaper and monetary donations, to get an updated list of collection locations, or to learn how you can host your own diaper collection drive with the JLC Diaper Bank, visit jlcharleston.org/diaperbank or contact email@example.com.
About the Junior League of Charleston, Inc.
The Junior League of Charleston, Inc., is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable. The Junior League of Charleston reaches out to women of all races, religions and national origin who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism. www.jlcharleston.org
The Refinery Announces October Event Lineup
The Refinery today announced its lineup of events coming up in October. Located on Charleston’s upper peninsula at 1640 Meeting...