On Friday, June 22nd local community groups will host the Justice First Tour in North Charleston, calling for climate justice, forest protection, and an equitable transition to 100% clean and renewable energy such as wind and solar power. The gathering will be held at Gethsem
The event is a collaboration among groups that organized the Justice First Tour of the Southeast — New Alpha Community Development Corporation, Dogwood Alliance, and the Sierra Club’s Ready for 100 campaign — and local and regional organizations, including: the Low Country Alliance for Model Community (LAMCE), Our Revolution, South Carolina Environmental Justice Network, the Charleston Citizen Research to Action Board (CCRAB), the Union Heights Community Center, and the Gussie Green Community Center
Friday’s event will feature a discussion of local climate and energy justice issues and solutions, including:
- Reducing disproportionate energy cost burdens borne by communities of color and low-income communities
- Building a Weather-Ready Nation for all
- Working toward 100% clean energy for all, and ensuring marginalized communities can participate fully in the emerging clean-energy economy
- Opposing offshore oil drilling
- Opposing fossil fuel pipelines and the further expansion of biomass energy
- Safeguarding the community from diesel emissions and particulate matter
- Supporting a community land trust to expand affordable housing
- Building strong families through environmental justice, economic development, education, and affordable housing
The event will be held from 6 to 8 pm. The social justice speakers will be followed by an evening of sharing resources, food, and music. Click here for more info.
There will also be a Juneteenth event at the Jenkins Institute for Children on Saturday, June 23rd from 12pm-6pm
Charleston Wine + Food Launches 2023 Schedule on New App
Press Release The Charleston Wine + Food Festival (CHSWF) today announced the 2023 programming via the festival’s app, giving guests...