Charleston Jazz proudly presents its 2018 “Charleston Jazz Series at Piccolo Spoleto.” This special event features a talented line-up of 17 bands representing all styles of jazz performing at Prohibition from May 27 through June 9, 2018. Prohibition is located at 547 King Street, Charleston, SC. All concerts are FREE ADMISSION.
This exciting line-up will feature Charleston’s best jazz bands plus two visiting bands from Columbia, South Carolina – The Soda City Brass Band (featured at the 2018 COLA Jazz Festival) and the Kanika Moore Quartet. The series will also highlight one of the most promising jazz musicians coming out of Cuba, Julio Padrón, a trumpet player who made his debut with Chucho Valdés. The wide range of styles to be performed include Straight Ahead, Gypsy Jazz, New Orleans, Dixie, Latin, Cuban, Contemporary, and Caribbean Jazz to name a few.
“We’re celebrating the 10 Year Anniversary of Charleston Jazz with gusto this year,” said Mary Beth Natarajan, Executive Director at Charleston Jazz. “These 14 days showcasing 17 bands with free admission during Piccolo Spoleto are part of our year-long celebration. It’s one way we’re giving back to all of the wonderful patrons who’ve supported us over the years.”
Prohibition on King Street is the event sponsor and the venue for the jazz series. Concerts will be held both inside the restaurant and on the patio depending on the schedule. The series will kick off with a Sunday Jazz Brunch at Prohibition featuring Robert Lewis and Gerald Gregory. These two master musicians have been cornerstones of many and various ensembles, including the Charleston Jazz Orchestra, Lewis/Gregory/Wiltrout, and The In-Between. Their extensive history working together particularly pays off in a duo setting, in which they pursue free-wheeling explorations of jazz standards.
The full line-up includes:
- “Robert Lewis/Gerald Gregory: Jazz Brunch at Prohibition,” May 27th from 11:00am to 2:00pm
- “She Goes He Goes: Jazz Swing Dance,” Sunday, May 27th from 8:00pm to 12:00am
- “Julio Padrón,” Monday, May 28th from 9:00pm to 12:00am
- “Salsa Dancing: Gino Castillo Latin Jazz Quartet” Tuesday, May 29th and Tuesday, June 5th from 9:00pm to 12:00am
- “Noah Jones Quartet,” Wednesday, May 30th from 9:00pm to 12:00am
- Opened by the Wando High School Jazz Combo from 7:30pm to 8:30pm
- “Robbie Madison,” Thursday, May 31th from 9:00pm to 12:00am
- “Maritime Electric,” Friday, June 1st from 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- “Soda City Brass Band,” Saturday, June 2nd from 3:00pm to 6:00pm
- “The New South Jazzmen,” Saturday, June 2nd and Saturday, June 9th from 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- “Slater/Swaney Jazz Acoustiq: Jazz Brunch at Prohibition,” Sunday, June 3rd from 11:00am to 2:00pm
- “V-Tones: Jazz Swing Dance,” Sunday, June 3rd from 8:00pm to 12:00am
- “Shimmy Ghøster,” Monday, June 4th from 9:30pm to 12:30pm
- “Ronnie Ward Quartet,” Wednesday, June 6th from 9:00pm to 12:00am
- “Grits & Steel,” Thursday, June 7th from 8:00pm to 11:00pm
- “Cameron & The Funk Dumplins,” Friday, June 8th from 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- “Kanika Moore,” Saturday, June 9th from 3:00pm to 6:00pm
To learn more about the series and each jazz band, please visit charlestonjazz.com.
About Charleston Jazz:
Charleston Jazz is a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote musical awareness and education including the recognition and preservation of the history of jazz in the Lowcountry through performances, special events, and educational outreach. Established in 2008 as Jazz Artists of Charleston, the organization has earned a reputation for presenting, producing, and advocating for all things jazz and the artists who bring this music to life in dynamic ways. The organization manages the Charleston Jazz Orchestra, the Charleston Jazz Festival, and the Charleston Jazz Academy.
The Midnight City to Perform at The Windjammer on Halloween
The Midnight City, the popular Indie Alternative/Pop band, will be performing on Halloween at The Windjammer. The Charleston-based band will...
Lasagna Night at Post House Benefits Program to Help New Moms
UPDATE: Skinful Halloween’s 2021 Event Canceled
Celebrate the Holiday Season with Festive Experiences, Family-Friendly Activities, & More at Montage Palmetto Bluff
Harvest Festival Returns to Johns Island County Park on November 6th
Rockabillaque Returns Next Month for Three-Day Event
Living Your Truth Series Returns with Mayors Steve Benjamin and Joe Riley
- Uncategorized9 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized2 years ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Uncategorized4 months ago
Appreciating Whisky Online Singapore Drinks
- Events2 days ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players
- Uncategorized3 months ago
How to Plan Your Home Budget
- Weekend Preview21 hours ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- News2 weeks ago
Marvel Star in Charleston to Scout Location for New Movie