The South Carolina Aquarium, in partnership with the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, will hold its first public release of 2018 on Thursday, May 10th at the Isle of Palms County Park. The two sea turtles rehabilitated by the South Carolina Aquarium Sea Turtle Care Center will be released into the Atlantic Ocean at 2 pm.
As usual, the public is invited to attend the event. Although viewing the release is free, attendees may have to pay for parking.
Here’s a look at each of the turtles being released:
- Coral (right)
- Kemp’s ridley
- Last July, boaters spotted Coral floating offshore near Edisto Island
- She was suffering for an apparent boat strike to its carapace
- Following 11 months of closely-monitored recovery in the Sea Turtle Care Center, Coral’s wound has healed
- One of three cold-stunned loggerhead sea turtles that were transferred to the Sea Turtle Care Center from the Virginia Aquarium after being discovered at Little Island Park in Virginia Beach, Va
- Upon stranding, Rhaegal’s body temperature was extremely low, and his heartrate was only 12 beats per minute. Radiographs administered by Sea Turtle Care Center staff revealed pneumonia
- Following nearly six months of rehabilitation that included antibiotic injections, Rhaegal is ready to complete his journey home
You can learn more about the turtles the South Carolina Aquarium’s Sea Turtle Care Center, and the Zucker Family Sea Turtle Recovery here.
In partnership with the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR), the South Carolina Aquarium Sea Turtle Care Center works to rescue, rehabilitate and release sea turtles that strand along the South Carolina coast. Located in the Aquarium, the Care Center admits 20-30 sea turtles each year. Many of these animals are in critical conditions, and some are too sick to save.
The South Carolina Aquarium Sea Turtle Care Center has rehabilitated and released 249 sea turtles to date; Thursday’s release will bring the total to 251.
Charleston Horticultural Society Announces 20th Annual Fall Garden Tour
For their landmark 20th Annual Fall Garden Tour, Charleston Horticultural Society (CHS Hort) has set its sights on the beautiful...
UPDATE: Skinful Halloween’s 2021 Event Canceled
Celebrate the Holiday Season with Festive Experiences, Family-Friendly Activities, & More at Montage Palmetto Bluff
Harvest Festival Returns to Johns Island County Park on November 6th
Rockabillaque Returns Next Month for Three-Day Event
Living Your Truth Series Returns with Mayors Steve Benjamin and Joe Riley
North Charleston PAC to Host An Evening With Chevy Chase Following a Screening of “Christmas Vacation”
- Uncategorized9 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized2 years ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Uncategorized4 months ago
Appreciating Whisky Online Singapore Drinks
- Events1 day ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players
- Uncategorized3 months ago
How to Plan Your Home Budget
- Weekend Preview3 hours ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- News1 week ago
Marvel Star in Charleston to Scout Location for New Movie