The Charleston Area Regional Transportation Authority (CARTA) Board of Directors today announced that the transit system will launch the Hospitality on Peninsula (HOP) Park and Ride Lot and Shuttle on Sunday, April 15 at 999 Morrison Drive.
The park-and-ride program is the first of its kind on the peninsula and was brought to fruition via a collaborative partnership with the City of Charleston, Charleston County, the Charleston Area Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments.
The HOP is targeted at workers in the area’s booming hospitality and food-and-beverage industries – though it is open to all commuters – as way to mitigate downtown parking challenges. There will be approximately 170 spaces available in the lot.
“The HOP park-and-ride service is an important way we are addressing an obvious need of workers in downtown Charleston,” said CARTA board chairman and Charleston city councilman Mike Seekings. “This lot and shuttle, essentially a pilot program that has been developed from scratch, is the first step in a regional strategy to tackle a number of pressing transportation issues, namely parking and congestion.”
Key details regarding the lot and shuttle service include:
- Hours of Operation: The shuttle will operate from 6 a.m. to 3 a.m. daily, with bus service every 15 minutes. Parking is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Cost: The cost to park in the lot is a flat fee of $5 all-day. Once a pass is purchased and displayed on a parked vehicle’s dashboard, commuters can board a HOP shuttle for free.
- Route: The HOP shuttle will exit 999 Morrison Drive, turn left onto Romney Street, left onto Meeting Street, left onto Broad Street and left onto East Bay Street as it returns to the lot. There will be eight HOP-specific stops on the route, each denoted by a white bus stop sign.
- Bus Transportation: CARTA will operate the shuttles and the lot itself. Commuters are encouraged to download the Transit app in order to track buses in real-time.
- Lot Features:
- Parking attendant on location during all hours of operation
- Enhanced lighting and security cameras
- Holy Spokes bike share on site
- Bike racks available
“We certainly would like to thank the City of Charleston, Charleston County, the Charleston Area Convention and Visitors Bureau and the BCDCOG for their collaboration on this project,” Seekings said. “We’re confident the service will be well-used and look forward to seeing it expand to other locations.”
In addition to the HOP service, Seekings said commuters are also encouraged to explore reduced after-hours fares in City-owned garages and the Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Government’s recently launched Lowcountry Go commuter services program that offers rideshare matches.
Click here to see the route brochure.
This is a press release
Harvest Festival Returns to Johns Island County Park on November 6th
Join Charleston County Parks next month for a celebration of all things fall! The Harvest Festival is set for Saturday,...
North Charleston PAC to Host An Evening With Chevy Chase Following a Screening of “Christmas Vacation”
YWCA Greater Charleston’s #WhatWomenBring Event To Honor Ten Women Leaders from Nine Industries
High Wire Distilling Co. to Host Release Party for Benton’s Smoked Jimmy Red Corn Whiskey
Kiawah River’s Fall Field Day and Run Like the Devil 5K Set for 10/23
Trick and Treat at Carolina Ice Palace’s Spooktacular Halloween Party
The Original Pub & Brewery Tours of Charleston’s Haunted Halloween Pub Crawl is Back
- Uncategorized9 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized2 years ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Uncategorized4 months ago
Appreciating Whisky Online Singapore Drinks
- Events2 days ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players
- Uncategorized3 months ago
How to Plan Your Home Budget
- Weekend Preview1 day ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- News1 week ago
Marvel Star in Charleston to Scout Location for New Movie