Charleston County Public Library (CCPL) is joining the nation in celebrating the 20th annual Read Across America event, the signature program presented by the National Education Association (NEA). Read Across America celebrates Dr. Seuss’ birthday and the joys of reading. More than 45 million readers of all ages are expected to pick up a book and read during associated events held nationwide, and several CCPL branches will host celebrity readers during programs scheduled March 1, 2, 3 and 5.
To honor the good doctor and celebrate the fun and value of reading, CCPL is asking patrons to join NEA and many of America’s leading literacy, youth and civic groups in bringing a nation of readers together under one hat – the red and white stovepipe made famous by the Cat in the Hat – for a flurry of reading excitement!
Check out the schedule of CCPL events listed below, and get ready to enjoy listening to Dr. Seuss favorites as we celebrate his birthday with local celebrities:
Thursday, March 1:
- Mt. Pleasant Regional Library at 10:30 a.m. with News Anchor Dean Stephens of ABC News 4 (WCIV-TV)
- Dorchester Road Regional Library at 10:30 a.m. with Laura Kelley, North Charleston Fire Department/Fire and Life Safety Education
- John L. Dart Library at 10:30 a.m. with North Charleston Fire Battalion Chief Eric Phillips and News Anchor Carolyn Murray of Count on 2 News (WCBD-TV)
- Cooper River Memorial Library at 10:30 a.m. with North Charleston Fire Chief Greg Bulanow and LoElla Smalls, the assistant budget director at Charleston County Government
- Otranto Road Regional Library at 10:30 a.m. with News Anchor Lisa Weismann of Live 5 News (WCSC-TV)
- James Island Library at 10:30 a.m. with News Reporter Alissa Holmes of Live 5 News (WCSC-TV)
Friday, March 2:
- Main Library at 9:30 a.m. with Raphael James of Live 5 News (WCSC-TV), CCPL Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Brack and Sgt. Trevor Shelor, the Charleston Police Department’s Crime Prevention/Community Relations Unit Supervisor
- West Ashley Library at 10:30 a.m. with Charlie T. RiverDog of the Charleston RiverDogs
- McClellanville Library at 3:30 p.m. Join a Seuss-tastic birthday celebration!
- Poe/Sullivan’s Island Library at 10:30 a.m. with Sullivan’s Island Mayor Pat O’Neil
- Village Library at 10:30 a.m. with Mount Pleasant Fire Chief Herb Williams
Saturday, March 3:
- Hurd/St. Andrews Regional Library at 10:30 a.m. with a performer dressed as the Cat in the Hat
Monday, March 5:
- Folly Beach Library at 10:30 a.m. with Folly Beach Mayor Tim Goodwin and Richard Summey, the pastor of Folly Beach Baptist Church
To find a CCPL location near you, visit www.ccpl.org/branches. For more information about NEA’s Read Across America, visit www.nea.org/readacross and www.readacrossamerica.org to learn about other reading celebrations that are happening from coast to coast.
The National Education Association is the nation’s largest professional employee-organization, representing 3.2 million elementary and secondary teachers, college faculty, school administrators, education support professionals, retired educators and students preparing to become teachers.
CCPL encourages patrons to share their Read Across America experience by using #RAAchs on social media. Follow CCPL at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by searching for ChasCoLibrary within those platforms.
This is an unedited press release
Trident United Way and SC Thrive Offer Free Tax Assistance in the Tri-County
Trident United Way and SC Thrive’s free tax filing portal is now open, offering services to Tri-County residents with an...