Earlier today, a disgruntled employee reportedly shot one person and held others hostage inside Virginia’s on King (412 King Street), a restaurant in downtown Charleston. The situation ended when the suspect was shot by police. The suspected shooter is in critical condition.
What’s known so far (latest updates towards the bottom):
- Charleston police received a call about an “active shooter situation” at 12:17 pm
- Shortly thereafter, one person was shot and taken to the hospital. The victim’s condition is unknown at this time
- Patrons were in the restaurant at the time of the incident
- They said the shooter was an older black man wearing apron. He was holding a small caliber revolver
- The suspected shooter was a dishwasher at the restaurant who was recently fired. He allegedly shot a chef at the restaurant
- Many businesses/apartments are locked down or closed for the day.
- People should avoid the area and stay inside if they are nearby
- The Post & Courier reports “John Aquino, who works in the building, says he has colleagues inside. He says a manager was sending texts from inside a closet.”
- During the city’s press conference at 2:30 pm, what sounded like a gun shot or flash bang could be heard. Police did not provide details at that time.
- Around 2:40 pm, multiple reporters on the scene said that a stretcher was being moved towards the restaurant
- Around 2:50 pm, a person was taken out of the restaurant on a stretcher.
- Live 5 News’ Bill Walsh tweeted: “One person (possibly) shot in mouth being taken to MUSC … police standing down.”
- Around 3 pm, reporters on the scene said the police tape was coming down.
- A press conference will be held at 3:15 pm
- 3:19 pm – Mayor John Tecklenberg provided the following updates:
- There was one fatality
- This was the restaurant’s chef
- The assailant has been shot and is in critical condition.
- The alleged shooter was shot by police
- The hostages appear to be ok
- There was one fatality
- 4:30 pm – a few streets around the restaurant are still blocked off
- 11:18 pm – Anthony Shane Whiddon, 37, of Goose Creek, has been identified as the shooting victim. The Charleston Pice statement: “Anthony Shane Whiddon, 37, of Goose Creek, SC has been identified as the homicide victim from the incident that occurred at Virginia’s on King Restaurant in Charleston, SC where he was the Executive Chef. He was transported by Charleston County EMS to the Medical University of South Carolina where he was pronounced deceased. The investigating agencies include SLED, Charleston Police Department, and the Charleston County Coroner’s Office.”
- 11:29 pm – Widdon went by his middle name. He was married and two boys.
- 11:33 pm – NBC has identified the suspected shooter as Thomas Burnes
- 8/25 – 12:36 am – From CPD: All streets surrounding the shooting incident location on King Street are now open to pedestrians and motorists.
ZZ Top Returns to the North Charleston PAC in September
Rock & Roll Hall of Famers ZZ Top will perform at the North Charleston Coliseum on September 28th. In 1969,...
PCC Honoring National HIV Testing Day with Extended Hours, Gifts
BCLS Hosts a Variety of Children’s Virtual Programs for Summer 2021
Fetter Health Care Network extends COVID-19 vaccine clinics into July
High Tide Music Festival Coming to Riverfront Park this September
UPDATE: Suds + Spuds Fundraising Event Postponed to the Fall
The Charleston Forum Kicks Off 5th Annual Events this Month
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized1 year ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Uncategorized4 weeks ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players
- Events3 days ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Weekend Preview3 days ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- Resources8 years ago
- Site Updates3 years ago
HCS Patreon Supporters
- Food7 years ago
Charleston’s Food Trucks