Slow Food Charleston has announced the finalists for their 2nd Annual Snail Awards, which will recognize the community leaders supporting the Slow Food movement. The winners will be announced on Thursday, April 13th at The American Theater.
Here’s a look at this year’s finalists:
- The Activist: An individual or organization that is a spokesperson or voice for the Slow Food mission
- Brian Ward, Clemson University Coastal Research and Education Center (Farm)
- Lindsey Barrow and Kate Dewitt, Lowcountry Street Grocery
- Angie Dupree, One80 Place
- The Provider: A producer or provider of food at the most basic level
- Pete and Babs Ambrose, Ambrose Family Farm
- Chris and Nicole Wilkins, Root Baking Co.
- Mark and Kerry Marhefka, Abundant Seafood
- The Artist: An individual or business that is using refined skill with good, clean, and fair ingredients to create or curate something unique in the community. One winner will be recognized for work with food and another for work with beverage.
- Kevin Johnson, The Grocery
- Jacques Larson, Wild Olive & Obstinate Daughter
- Chris Stewart, The Glass Onion
- Jaime Tenny and David Merritt, Coast Brewing Co.
- Matt and Angie Tunstall, Stems and Skins
- Scott Schor, Edmund’s Oast
- The Snailblazer: A publicly nominated category where a $1000 SnailBlazer Grant will be awarded to an individual whose work is positively impacting the Charleston community
- Spade and Clover Gardens
- Blue Pearl Farms
- The Place: A business that adheres to Slow Food principles in terms of its business practices and philosophies
- Middleton Place
- The Wild Olive and Obstinate Daughter
- MUSC, Office of Health Promotion
There is also an award for The Legend which will be presented to author, educator, and advocate Nathalie Dupree. She will receive the Carolina Gold Trophy created by artist and iron worker Robert Thomas and will be a part of the evening’s festivities.
- Nathalie Dupree, Author and Advocate
- Stephanie Burt, The Southern Fork
- Jed Portman, Garden & Gun
- Katie Hajjar, GM Fish Restaurant
- Vanessa Driscoll Bialobreski, Farm to Table Event Co. & Slow Food Columbia
- Kristian Niemi, Farm to Table Event Co. & Slow Food Columbia
- Celeste Albers, Green Grocer Farm & 2016 Provider recipient
- Craig Deihl, Cyress/AMS & 2016 Arist in Food recipient
- Scott Blackwell, High Wire Distilling & 2016 Artist in Beverage winner
Tickets can be purchased at www.snailawardschs.com.
Coastal Carolina Fair Returns on October 27th
The annual Coastal Carolina Fair returns to the area from October 27th to November 6th at the Exchange Park in...