Nearly 40 African-American authors will visit Burke High School for the inaugural Black Ink: Charleston African American Book Festival on September 17th. The event will run from 1 pm to 5 pm and will feature a keynote address from Marcus Amaker, Charleston’s first poet laureate.
Featured authors include:
- Alphonso Brown: Author of A Gullah Guide to Charleston: Walking Through Black History
- Mattie Sanders: Author of Look Beyond the Smile
- Damon Fordham: Author of True Stories of Black South Carolina
- Sherman Pyatt: Author of Burke High School (1894-2006), Charleston, SC
In addition, the event will also include:
- A workshop on writing and self-publishing
- Spoken Word Poetry Slam
- A panel featuring renowned African American authors
General admission to the event is FREE. Click here for more information.
Comedian Nate Bargatze Coming to the North Charleston PAC in May
Comedian Nate Bargatze will bring his “The Be Funny Tour” to the North Charleston Performing Arts Center on Saturday, May...