The Mixson Farmers Market will begin its season with a grand opening celebration on Saturday, April 9th from 10 am until 2 pm. The monthly market is held in conjunction with GrowFood Carolina.
The grand opening will feature:
- Live music from the V-Tones
- Kids activities
- Chef demos
- Sweet & Savory local pie contest to help celebrate Eat Local Month
- Folks can enter by bringing a fresh pie at noon
- Must be made with local produce and can be either sweet or savory
- Prizes will be awarded to the top pies.
- Fresh produce from GrowFood’s network of SC farmers
- Slow Food’s Tiny Tastemakers initiative will offer a children’s lesson in strawberry pie waffle cones
- A healthy dessert bar will feature freshly made yogurt with fruit and toppings with recipes, instructions on making your own yogurt at home, and info on local farms. Costs $5.
Each month, the Mixson Farmers Market will partner with GrowFood Carolina to highlight seasonal ingredients grown by local farmers. In addition to fruit and vegetables, the market will also have local cheeses, breads, grains, honey, jams, jellies, and more.
The Farmers Market will be held on the second Saturday of each month from April to July. Certain dates will feature other events:
- May 14th: Honey Do
- A day to celebrate local honey with beekeeping demos & much more
- June 11th: Blueberry Bonanza
- An event dedicated to fresh blueberries with live music & chef demos
- July 9th: Tomayto Tomahto
- A celebration of sweet summer tomatoes with tomato pie contest
For more information, visit the Facebook page.
Events1 hour ago
Charleston County Parks Debuts 5K Trail Race Series
Charleston County Parks today introduced a 5K trail race series that will be held at Caw Caw Interpretive Center, Johns...
Art3 hours ago
Wild Dunes Resort Announces New Artist in Residence at The Gallery at Sweetgrass
Events7 hours ago
Local Youth Organization Geared Toward Entrepreneurship to Host Fashion Show
Art21 hours ago
Park Circle Gallery to Exhibit Works by Morgan Serreno East and Marie Carladous
Art1 day ago
Gibbes Museum of Art Announces Inaugural Week-long Visual Arts Festival
Events1 day ago
“Always…Patsy Cline” Comes to the Charleston Music Hall on May 5th
Events1 day ago
Charleston Jazz Orchestra Returns to Firefly Distillery