Slow Food Charleston recently announced that their inaugural Snail Awards, which will recognize the community leaders supporting the Slow Food movement, will be held on Monday, March 21st at The American Theater. The program will begin at 6 pm.
During the event, there will be an awards ceremony announcing the winners of the following categories:
- The Activist
- An individual or organization that is a spokesperson or voice for the Slow Food mission
- The Provider
- A producer or provider of food at the most basic level
- The Artist
- An individual or business that is using refined skill with locally, sustainable ingredients to provide for the community. One winner will be recognized for work with food and another for work with beverage.
- The Snailblazer
- A publicly nominated award for an individual who is making strides in their own field to positively impact the Charleston community. This individual should personify the many aspects of Slow Food’s mission and will be vetted through an application process. To submit a nomination for the Snailblazer Award, visit www.snailawardschs.com. The deadline for submissions is February 22nd
- The Place
- A business that adheres to Slow Food principles in terms of its business practices and philosophies
There is also an award for The Legend which will be presented to Chef Mike Lata of FIG and The Ordinary, who was one of the original founders of the Slow Food Charleston chapter and is a starch advocate of supporting local foodways. Lata will be a Master of Ceremonies for the event.
Immediately following the ceremony, there is a reception featuring dishes by chefs Kevin Mitchell of the Culinary Institute of Charleston, Nico Romo of FISH, Lauren Mitterer of WildFlour, and Jacques Larson of Wild Olive & The Obstinate Daughter, and John Fleer of Rhubarb in Asheville, North Carolina. Entertainment will be by Gracie and Lacy. Tickets are $80 per person for members, and $90 per person for nonmember and can be purchased at www.snailawardschs.com.
Valentine’s Day 2022 Menus, Events, Discounts, and Specials
Looking for some sweet plans for Valentine’s Day? Look below for a list of events and special menus being offered...