Eric Holder, the 82nd Attorney General of the United States will keynote one of the premiere events during Charleston’s 44th annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration. Events will be held from Sunday, January 10th through the 19th.
The former Attorney General will speak at the MLK Tri-County Ecumenical Service at the Morris Street Baptist Church on January 17th.
Here’s a look at this year’s full schedule (all events are free and open to the public unless noted):
Sunday, January 10th
- MLK Area Worship Services
- 3:00 pm: New First Missionary Baptist Church, 1644 Highway 174, Edisto Island
- 3:30 pm: St. Matthew AME Church, 345 Davison Road, Ravenel
- 4:00 pm: New Webster United Methodist Church, 4755 Bears Bluff Road, Wadmalaw Island
- 4:00 pm: Goose Creek High School, 1137 Redbank Road
- 4:00 pm: Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church – 7396 Rivers Avenue, North Charleston
- 5:00 pm: St. James Presbyterian Church, US 1314 Secessionville Road, James Island
- 5:00 pm: Olive Branch African Methodist Episcopal Church, 1734 Highway 17 North, Mt. Pleasant
Wednesday, January 13th
- 6:30 pm: MLK Youth Summit at Seacoast Church (750 Long Point Road in Mt. Pleasant)
- Featuring Reggie Dabbs, internationally known youth motivational speaker
- Youth Talent Showcase of poetry, dance, drama performances streaming live online from Seacoast Church
- High-tech, multi-cultural event
Sunday, January 17th
- 3:00 pm: MLK Tri-County Ecumenical Service at Morris Street Baptist Church (25 Morris Street in Charleston)
- Featuring keynote address by Hon. Eric H. Holder, Jr., 82nd Attorney General of the United States
- US Congressman James E. Clyburn leads a delegation of U.S. Congressional Black Caucus Institute members and presents the Harvey Gantt Triumph Award to Holder and to Rev. Joseph A. Darby, Presiding Elder of the Beaufort District, AME Church
- Remarks by Hon. John Tecklenburg, Hon. Joseph P. Riley, Jr.
- Music by Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church All-Male Intergenerational Choir, and the Divine Strength Chamber Ensemble
Monday, January 18th
- 11:00 am: MLK Holiday Parade
- Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg is Parade Grand Marshal
- Parade departs from Burke High School (244 President Street) and proceeds east to Ashley Avenue, north to Sumter Street, east to King Street, east on Calhoun Street, and ends on Elizabeth Street
- Parade will be live broadcast by WCBD
- 12:30 pm: Youth Poetry Slam at College of Charleston Science Center (202 Calhoun Street)
- To pre-register for for the poetry contest call 843-953-4902 or 843-722-1644
- Top three contest winners will receive $100, $50, and $25 respectively.
Tuesday, January 19th
- 7:30 am: MLK Business & Professional Breakfast at the Charleston Marriott Hotel (170 Lockwood Drive)
- Advance reservations required
- Keynote speaker is Dara Richardson-Heron, M.D., Chief Executive Officer, YWCA USA
- Mayor Joseph P. Riley, Jr. is Honorary Chairman
- Elizabeth Colbert-Busch will present the Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Vision Awards to Jerry and Anita Zucker of the Zucker Family Foundation, Inc., and to Katie Stagliano, 17-year old founder of Katie’s Krops
- Special appearance by Daja Dial, Miss South Carolina 2015
- Ann McGill of Live 5 News will host
- To purchase tickets, visit www.ywca-charlestonsc.org or call YWCA 843-722-1644.
For more information on the 44th annual MLK Celebration visit www.ywca-charlestonsc.org or call the YWCA 843-722-1644.
College of Charleston Celebrates Black History Month With a Series of Events
By: CofC Media Black History Month, celebrated during the month of February, is a time to recognize the accomplishments and...