It has become commonplace for the Holy City to be placed near the top of just about every “best of” and “greatest” list that magazines or websites spit out each month. Sadly, it is also quite normal to see the state Charleston calls home near the…(ahem)..top of most “worst” lists.
South Carolina’s source of shame this month? Two separate lists featuring the country’s unhealthiest states and the worst drivers.
According to the 2014 America’s Health Rankings report, the Palmetto State was ranked as the 9th “Unhealthiest State In America.” The list was created by comparing data on obesity, physical inactivity, diabetes, child poverty, and immunization coverage. Mississippi “topped” the rankings.
Meanwhile, in the “Worst Drivers by State” list, South Carolina found itself tied with Montana in first place…which is really last place. The rankings, which were published by CarInsuranceComparision.com, where created by comparing statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Each state was ranked in the follow categories:
- Fatalities Rate per 100 Million Vehicle Miles Traveled
- Failure to Obey (Percentage of Fatal Crashes that involved Traffic Signals, Not Wearing Seat Belts, and Driving with an Invalid Driver License)
- Drunk Driving (Percentage of Fatal Crashes that Involved Alcohol)
- Speeding (Percentage of Driving Fatalities that were Speed-Related)
- Careless Driving (Pedestrian & Bicyclist Fatalities per 100,000 Population).
South Carolina’s worst rankings ere in Fatalities Rate (1st), Drunk Driving (8th), and Careless Driving (5th).
You can see the entire list here.
Global Women’s Bartending Competition that Raises Money for Breast Cancer Awareness Coming to Charleston Wine + Food
Speed Rack, the global, all-womxn+ bartending competition that raises money for the fight against breast cancer, is making its Holy...