About 15,780 children between birth and the age of 20 are diagnosed with cancer each year. At the Medical University of South Carolina alone, about 70 children are diagnosed with pediatric cancer annually.
Local nonprofit Chase After a Cure is hosting a group of events to raise money for childhood cancer research at MUSC, specifically in the area of childhood cancer neuroblastoma. The charity’s namesake, Chase Ringler, was diagnosed with the disease in 2007. Since its founding, Chase After a Cure has raised more than $700,000 for research and equipment at MUSC.
On the national level, the organization will partner with childhood cancer groups from around the country for a country-wide awareness campaign. Chase After a Cure is joining the Alliance for Chiildhood Cancer to press for an increase in research funding. Later this month, staff and supporters of the organization will travel to Washington, D.C., for CureFest. The September 21st event will include a walk from the White House to the Capitol. CureFest’s goal is to start a national movement to raise more awareness and funds to fight this disease.
“Funding for the Children’s Oncology Group through the National Cancer Institute has been worsening over the last decade, falling by 30 percent,” Adam White, executive director of Chase After a Cure said. “Unfortunately, this year’s budget is being cut and next year’s budget cycle is predicted to be even worse.
During Childhood Cancer Awareness Month…we want people to realize children in our community depend on medical treatments and research discoveries – and that takes funding.”
The local events that Chase After a Cure are hosting include:
- 9/14/14 – Hole Lot of Fun – Blackbeard’s Cove, 3255 N. Highway 17, Mt. Pleasant
- Noon to 5 pm
- To raise awareness for childhood cancer, Chase After a Cure has teamed up with Blackbeard’s Cove for a Hole Lot of Fun. This family friendly event includes unlimited golf, Go-Karts, jump castles and the climbing wall. Tickets are $20 per person; purchase advance tickets at chaseafteracure.com.
- 9/18/14 – Third annual Drive Away Childhood Cancer Golf Tournament – Patriots Point Links, 40 Patriots Point Road, Mt. Pleasant
- 11 am – 5pm
- Be part of this captain’s choice golf tournament benefiting Chase After a Cure in its fight to end childhood cancer. The event includes awards, a silent auction, lunch by Home Team BBQ and an evening reception. Individual registration is $125; foursome $400. Register at chaseafteracure.com.
- Any day in September – Chase After a Cure Virtual Road Chase
- Participants complete their Virtual Road Chase in their own neighborhood or town on any day in September. Once participants have completed the race, they put on their medal, take a picture and help spread the word about childhood cancer.
- Options include full marathon of 26.2 miles ($40 registration), half-marathon of 13.1 miles ($20 registration), 5K ($15 registration), 5K Kids Fun Run ($5 registration), and a 1-Mile Kids Fun Run ($5 registration; ages 10 and under). Or sign up for the team challenge for $300. All participants receive a race bib and a finisher medal.
For more information about any of these events, sponsorships, or volunteering with Chase After a Cure, visit chaseafteracure.com or call 843-695-7511.
Valentine’s Day 2022 Menus, Events, Discounts, and Specials
Looking for some sweet plans for Valentine’s Day? Look below for a list of events and special menus being offered...