This Day in Charleston History
On this day in 1886, the “Great Earthquake” leveled Charleston. To this day, it remains the most damaging quake to ever hit the southeast with around $6 million worth of damage done to about 2,000 buildings. That total would equate to over $100 million in damages today.
The earthquake, which began at 9:50 pm, also claimed the lives of 60 Charlestonians (although some estimates are as high as 110). Those facts are even more shocking considering the earthquake lasted less than a minute and was felt as far away as Boston, Chicago, and Cuba. Although the duration of the event was short, it was clearly quite powerful.
Estimates place the quake between a 6.6 and a 7.3 on the Richter scale.
- More than 300 aftershocks related to the 1886 earthquake occurred over a 35 year period.
- Small craters and fissures were found throughout the area.
- The earthquake led to the construction of “earthquake bolts” that can be seen on buildings throughout the city. The bolts are long iron rods that run through walls for reinforcement. They are anchored with a washer-type device and a large iron nut.
- Their effectiveness has never been tested
- Multiple fires resulted from the quake.
- Water line and wells were ruptured.
- With many houses destroyed, “tent cities” popped up in public parks like Washington Square.
- Some of the damage is still visible today.
- Damage photos and more here.
Lowcountry Food Bank’s Walk to Fight Hunger Aims to Raise Funds to Help Food Insecure Lowcountry Neighbors
The Lowcountry Food Bank announced today a family-friendly event that aims to bring awareness to hunger issues in coastal South Carolina...
What’s Happening this August at the Gibbes Museum of Art
Itinerant Literate Books and Commonhouse Aleworks Launch Brewing on Books – A Community Book Club
Dog Day Afternoon at Local Waterparks Set for September 11th & 12th
Party at the Point Concert Series Announces Additional Dates
Steely Dan Coming to the North Charleston Performing Arts Center in October
North Charleston POPS! Announces 10th Anniversary Season
- Uncategorized6 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized2 years ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Uncategorized2 months ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players
- Events4 days ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Weekend Preview3 days ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- Resources8 years ago
- Site Updates3 years ago
HCS Patreon Supporters
- Food7 years ago
Charleston’s Food Trucks