So…it turns out some Charleston-area bridges aren’t what you would call “super safe.” Specifically, seven bridges in Charleston County made AAA Carolina’s list of the state’s 20 most substandard bridges.
Here’s a look at the county’s guilty seven and where they placed on the list:
- I-26 over SC 7 in North Charleston (3)
- I-26 over Midland Park Rd. in North Charleston (6)
- US 17 over a CSX railroad track in North Charleston (7)
- SC 171 over Wappoo Creek, 1 mile south of James Island (8)
- US 17 over Ashley River in Charleston (16)
- US 17 over 17 Northbound to Coleman Blvd in Mt. Pleasant (17)
- SC 7 over Ashley River in North Charleston (18)
Most of the structures listed were at least 40 years old, but the bridge over the North Charleston railroad track was built just 8 years ago.
None of the bridges are scheduled to have repairs done at this time.
You can view the state’s entire list here.
Charleston Weekend Events
There’s ALWAYS something to do in Charleston – especially on the weekend. If you need help finding plans, just consult...