This post was originally written in April 2013. It’s been updated a few times since then.
This has been an absolutely devastating few days for America, but many people don’t realize how historically bad this week is.
It very well may be the worst week in our country’s history. Here are some of the terrible things that have occurred during this week throughout our history:
- 4/15/1865 – After being shot in the head the night before, President Abraham Lincoln died.
- 4/15/1912 – The RMS Titanic sunk in the Atlantic Ocean, killing 1,502 people.
- 4/15/2013 – Two explosions near the Boston Marathon finish line killed three people and injured nearly 200 other people.
- 4/15/2018 – Seven inmates killed in prison fights at South Carolina’s Lee Correctional Institution.
- 4/15/2019 – A fire broke out in the roof of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France, causing significant damage to the building.
- 4/16/2007 – A shooter killed 32 people and wounded 17 others before committing suicide at Virgina Tech.
- 4/16/2013 – A letter that was mailed to Senator Roger Wicker of Mississippi tests positive for ricin. The next day a letter addressed to President Barack Obama also test positive for the substance.
- 4/17/2013 – An explosion rips through a fertilizer plant in West, Texas (near Waco). The blast and subsequent fire have resulted in an unknown amount deaths, 100s of injuries, and the destruction of multiple properties.
- 4/18/1906 – The Great 1906 San Francisco Earthquake was estimated to be a 7.9 magnitude quake. The earthquake and fires that followed resulted in 3,000 deaths.
- 4/19/1775 – The first battles of the Revolutionary War. The Colonial causalities consisted of: 49 dead, 39 wounded, and 5 missing.
- 4/19/1993 – 76 people (including children) died when federal agents attempted to raid the Mount Carmel Center ranch in Waco, Texas.
- 4/19/1995 – 168 people (including children) died, while 680 more were injured in the Oklahoma City bombing at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.
- 4/20/1889 – Adolf Hitler was born.
- 4/20/1999 – Two shooters murdered 13 people, injured 21 others and killed themselves at Columbine High School in Colorado.
- 4/20/2010 – The Deepwater Horizon oil spill begins after an explosion on the oil platform. 11 people were killed and over the next 3 months about 200 million gallons of oil is spilled into the Gulf of Mexico.
- 4/21/2016 – Legendary musician Prince dies.
Latina Bazaar Market Announces Several Upcoming Events
Roxana Massie, owner of Roxy Latin Jewels & Fashion, will host several events at Tradesman Brewing Co. in downtown Charleston....