The chefs are coming! The chefs are coming! Ok, so I’m no Paul Revere.
Unlike Revere who rode a horse through Charlestown (Mass.) alerting residents of the unwanted arrival of foreigners, I am lazily typing a three day late notification to the residents of Charleston regarding the welcomed arrival of some of the world’s best chefs. I hope to make up for my tardiness with a comprehensive look at the most anticipated gastronomical event in Holy City history – Cook It Raw.
Cook It Raw, the brainchild of Alessandro Porcelli, is an annual event that brings chefs from all over the world together for a few days worth of innovative cooking, idea-sharing, industry discussion, and environmental, social, and cultural debate. The attendees spend their days hunting, foraging, fishing, harvesting, and speaking with local experts about local produce and cooking techniques. The event concludes with an invigorating dinner featuring the chefs’ unique creations based on what they were able to collect – physically and mentally – during the week. This year’s gathering is taking place right here in Charleston and will focus on traditional Lowcountry cuisine.
To celebrate this sixth gathering, Cook It Raw decided to open the climatic final dinner to the public and, not surprisingly, tickets quickly sold-out. The dinner, dubbed “BBQ Perspectives,” is being held on Bowens Island this Saturday at noon and anticipation has rapidly increased since the chefs’ arrival. Charlestonians can’t wait to see what the more than 40 local and internationally acclaimed chefs will create using only regional ingredients.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
List of chefs who are expected to attend this year’s event (click on their name for their Twitter account):
- Jeremiah Bacon, The Macintosh and Oak Steakhouse
- Sean Brock, Husk, McCrady’s, Charleston
- Bob Carter, Carter’s Kitchen and Rutledge Cab Company
- Craig Deihl, Cypress Restaurant
- Jacques Larson, Wild Olive
- Mike Lata, FIG and The Ordinary
- Frank Lee, Slightly North of Broad
- Rodney Scott, Scott’s BBQ, Hemingway (SC)
- Robert Stehling, The Hominy Grill
- Chris Stewart, The Glass Onion
- Ken Vedrinski, Coda del Pesce
- Michelle Weaver, Charleston Grill
- Albert Adria, Tickets, 41 Experience, Barcelona
- Brandon Baltzley, TMIP, Michigan City, Ind.
- Dan Barber, Stone Barns at Blue Hill, Pocantico Hills, N.Y.
- April Bloomfield, The Spotted Pig, New York City
- Jeremy Charles, Raymond’s, Newfoundland
- Andre Chiang, Restaurant Andre, Singapore
- Connie DeSousa and John Jackson, CHARCUT Roast House, Calgary, Alberta
- Matt Jennings, Farmstead Inc., Providence, R.I.
- Sasu Laukkonen, Chef & Sommelier, Finland
- James Lowe, The Young Turks, London
- JP McMahon, Aniar, EAT Gastropub, Cava Bodega, Ireland
- Enrique Olvera, Pujol, Mexico
- Alejandro Ruiz, Casa Oaxaca, Mexico
- Ben Shewry, Attica, Australia
- Roberta Solis, Nectar, Mexico
- Alex Stupak, Empellon Taqueria, Empellon Cocina, New York City
- Jair Tellez, Laja, MeroTero, Mexico
- Eric Werner, Hartwood, Mexico
- Phil Wood, Rockpool, Australia
Here is some media coverage of Cook It Raw:
- Cook It Raw comes to Charleston (Post & Courier).
- Culinary Masterminds Take Over Charleston (Eater Charleston).
- An international dream team of chefs will hunt, forage, and fish their way across the Lowcountry during Cook It Raw (Charleston City Paper).
Interview with Cook It Raw’s Alessandro Porcelli (Foodmancing the Girl).
- Canadians among group of influential chefs attending Cook It Raw event in S.C. (Ottawa Citizen).
Keep up with the week’s happenings with these official links:
First Black Food Truck Festival to Be Held at Patriots Point Next Month
On both Saturday, November 13th and Sunday, November 14th, the first Black Food Truck Festival will be held at Patriots...
Motherland Essentials Hosts Halloween Lane at Summerville Warehouse
Tickets Now on Sale for the 38th Annual Lowcountry Oyster Festival
Trey Kennedy to Perform at the Charleston Gaillard Center in January
College of Charleston Concert Choir to Present “Songs for Thanksgiving” Performance
Holy Smokes Lowcountry Barbecue Festival Announces VIP Chefs
New Muse Concerts to Present “Blueprint” at Multiple Charleston Venues
- Uncategorized9 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
- Uncategorized2 years ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Appreciating Whisky Online Singapore Drinks
- Uncategorized4 months ago
How to Plan Your Home Budget
- Events4 days ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
- Uncategorized5 months ago
Best Live Dealer Games Providers for Non-GamStop Players
- Weekend Preview4 days ago
Charleston Weekend Events
- News3 weeks ago
Marvel Star in Charleston to Scout Location for New Movie